Unfiltered Ruby Ports?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Unfiltered Ruby Ports?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd and Derek mentioned that they have had an unfiltered Ruby Port from Niepoort (Quinta do Passadouro) that was very good. I've had the Quinta de la Rosa Lot 501 unfiltered Ruby Port that was also very good and a ringer for something more expensive. Has anyone else had experiences with an unfiltered Ruby Port?

Or does anyone else know who makes an unfiltered Ruby Port? I'd love to find out who else does as they offer such great drinking value.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Unfiltered Ruby Ports?

Post by Derek T. »

Andy,

I have one of the Niepoort Quinta do Passadouro Unfiltered Rubys left. Should I put it in that box that we will be taking with us in October? :wink:

Derek
JacobH

Post by JacobH »

How many shippers do these? I haven’t seen them for sale around here. How do they compare to the regular rubies from the same shippers? I presume, as they are unfiltered, they should be able to be bottle-aged, which might be quite interesting…
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I don't think many shippers produce these. Ramos Pinto "Collector", Quinta do Passadouro, Quinta de la Rosa are three that I am aware of and I have a feeling Sandeman also produce one as I seem to remember drinking one in Milan but have never seen it here in the UK.

Yes, they should bottle age fairly well.

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:. Should I put it in that box that we will be taking with us in October? :wink:

Derek
I think we can leave the youngsters at home :lol:

How do they compare to the regular rubies from the same shippers? I presume, as they are unfiltered, they should be able to be bottle-aged, which might be quite interesting…
Never had one with lots of bottle age so not sure, but I'd guess they would hold up ok for mid-term drinking. Not many of the big guys make them, but I'm sure some of the smaller producers in the Douro do, hence my question.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy Velebil wrote:Todd and Derek mentioned that they have had an unfiltered Ruby Port from Niepoort (Quinta do Passadouro) that was very good. I've had the Quinta de la Rosa Lot 501 unfiltered Ruby Port that was also very good and a ringer for something more expensive. Has anyone else had experiences with an unfiltered Ruby Port?
Have not tried the Lote 501 yet. I see that it is available in Ontario, but I might as well fly to California... probably cheaper than flying to Ontario.

Hey, wait. Then we could have an offline... and I could meet you in person. And buy cheap Ports at California prices... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Peter G.
Location: Lagunitas, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Peter G. »

I've been trying some reserve rubies and lbv Ports in search of an everyday Port lately and stumbled across the Pocas Quinta de Vale de Cavalos Reserve Ruby. It is unfiltered, and I was surprised to find as much sediment in it as in a vintage port. I found it at Beverages and More, and suspect it had been sitting around the store for some time.
I found it to be of excellent quality, and find it has more complexity than Graham's Six Grapes and more grip than Ramos Pinto Collector ruby, although I like both of these Ports.
I bought all I could find at two local Beverages and More, and they have been replaced on the shelves by a newer Pocas reserve ruby, which has a new (white background in place of black) label and doesn't mention the quinta or that the wine is unfiltered. I still haven't tried the new version.

Peter
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter,
Very cool find. I'll have to track one down around me and give it a go, as I've never had it. It's seems the good rubies are so hard to find, but the hunt is always fun.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

What's the difference between an "unfiltered ruby" and "crusted port"?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Moses Botbol wrote:What's the difference between an "unfiltered ruby" and "crusted port"?
I have asked that one before but can't find the thread. I think the answer was that there are rules around which vintages can be used in a Crusted - i.e. 2 or 3 consecutive years, whereas an unfiltered ruby has less restrictive rules. I don't know whether or not that is actually true but I think it is the answer I was given when I asked the question.
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

I rarely look at rubies - do they carry a bottling-date?

I suspect unfilteres rubies are a way to fool the VP, LBV and Crusted-systems, making a superiour port without too much hassle, and without promising more than you can keep.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.