Lost gems you found in the cellar

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Lost gems you found in the cellar

Post by Andy Velebil »

Have you ever found a "lost bottle" of Port in your cellar. One you forgot all about for many years until one day you're cleaning the cellar or looking for something else and you stumble upon it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Lost gems you found in the cellar

Post by Dave Johnson »

I wish Andy. Usually the other way around. Going in looking for a bottle it turns out I already finished.
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Dave Johnson wrote:I wish Andy. Usually the other way around. Going in looking for a bottle it turns out I already finished.
Me too.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There is a certain pleasure associated with forgetting and then re-discovering bottles, which I still indulge with table wines, especially those that cost me very little.

But for port, I like to maintain a complete record - date of purchase; source; cost; condition - and a record of notes made when previous bottles were consumed from the same case.

Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I tend to have the opposite experience. I remember that I have a rare gem in the cellar and then when I go to find it I realise that I have already popped it at some time in the past :? :help: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:I tend to have the opposite experience. I remember that I have a rare gem in the cellar and then when I go to find it I realise that I have already popped it at some time in the past :? :help: :lol:
That seems to be my problem too.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Oh I did better than a lost bottle. I was going through my cellar and doing a complete inventory and ran across a complete case of 1977 Warre's! :D I thought I had drank it all long ago but I must have bought 2 cases. I opened one and it was the best showing yet of this Port! Certainly it's ready to drink.
-Dave-
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A CASE! Ok that takes the cake Dave. I can see a bottle or two, but how do you forget about a case :Naughty:
Jan-Tore Egge

Post by Jan-Tore Egge »

Wow! Lucky you!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I normally write all I buy in my homemade database sofware. But in the last 2 month I did nothing and since I moved house, it is kind of very unorganised in my 2 house cellars. I was thinking about that, that one day I'll discover one bottle that would fit the perfect occasion and that I had forgot about. Though excited about the idea, for insurance purpose, I think I'll might to redo my inventory again...
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I know I will have some gems. I like to fill any empty space in OWC's with whatever will fit of similar era. The 94's are on the bottom of pile, so who knows what is in there?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

The other day I found a bottle of Croft '63 that I didn't know I had. Somehow I forgot that I had purchased it and I really hadn't taken an inventory lately so I guess that it just got overlooked.

Marc
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Andy Velebil wrote:A CASE! Ok that takes the cake Dave. I can see a bottle or two, but how do you forget about a case :Naughty:
Yeah.. I don't know. I bought a lot of cases of that wine and sold many of them and drank through one. But then never saw another one -- it's in my off-site locker. I was digging through do inventory and pulled out every case... and there it was! I was shocked. I guess I needed an inventory!!
-Dave-