Name on cork

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lars F

Name on cork

Post by Lars F »

Hi

I just had a bottle of Romariz 1991 VP, and when I pulled the cork, it said Morgan Vintage Port on the cork. Why is this?

-Lars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Name on cork

Post by Roy Hersh »

That is a darn good question. Hopefully Uncle Tom, the master of 1991 bottles of Morgan will be able to let us all know.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Interesting indeed?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Romariz has no vineyards of its own, and therefore has to buy in wine from other producers to bottle as its own.

Your discovery would seem to have unveiled a little secret - through someone getting the corks muddled up, Romariz 1991 VP would appear to be sourced from Morgan - a very sound choice, I might add!

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Tom.

Very interesting!

Also, I was wondering if you ever determined what that cork was in the bottle of 1895/1896?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Also, I was wondering if you ever determined what that cork was in the bottle of 1895/1896?
After washing with hydrogen peroxide to bleach the cork, and thereby raise the contrast on the branding, it was revealed to be TAYLOR VINTAGE 1927

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Now that is a shocker. Great job Tom!

In the scheme of life ... that was one weak bottle of T27!!!!!!!!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:
After washing with hydrogen peroxide to bleach the cork, and thereby raise the contrast on the branding, it was revealed to be TAYLOR VINTAGE 1927

Tom
That is a shocker. But in retrospect the fill was low (mid shoulder IIRC) so that would most likely account for it. Still a good bottle though.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Wow! What a surprise...
Pictures.. we want pictures! :D

-Dave-
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Pictures.. we want pictures!
I'm afraid my digital camera goes out of focus if I try to capture something that small..

I keep looking at this cork, lest I've misread it, as the date is the most difficult part to read, and the typeface looks rather old, with fine lines and large serifs.

That it starts with a 1 and ends with a 7 is beyond dispute, the third digit is very faint, but is just identifiable as a 2. The second digit is missing its lower half, but could only be an 8 if the lower loop were much smaller than the upper one; the lower loop would also cross an area that appears undamaged.

Therefore, this wine, which I described in my notes as 'Hot, pale, bit sad, bit of a beast, Taylor? - dead!'

- is almost certainly the revered T27

Maybe it spent years in a hot attic or shed - who knows..

Tom
simon Lisle

Post by simon Lisle »

I've mailed the merchant concerned to tell him what the bottles actually are.Thanks Tom
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Tom,

If you send me the cork I will photograph it and post a picture of it.

PM or email me and I'll give you the address.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I guess I liked the wine more than some, as I found it actually improved in the glass, as it had only just been decanted for sediment thinking it was over 30 years older, which is an enormous difference at that age. I have had the 1927 four or five other times and it never was as light as what we thought was an old Cockburn's from the 19th century. About 15 minutes after it was in the glass, there was a distinct change in the nose and on the palate and I was pleased (not knowing what it was at the time as there had been lots of discussion/confusion over that detail) at how nicely it turned out before fading away. Surprisingly unctuous too, but it all makes sense. Great bottles of T27 typically have considerably more ruby to the center and this was far from that, even with the hard lighting.