With this my 5,000th post here on FTLOP, I'd like to extend an invitation to all those that lurk or actively participate here at
I have been considering getting back to my annual Port festivities in which I'd open a heck of a lot of great bottles from my cellar for those that enjoy Port of all sorts. From 1992 in DC to about 2003, I never missed a year. Since then, I have thrown sporadic Port tastings here in Seattle and have also hosted many a tasting around No. America. But it is time for a great weekend of real Port debauchery, with some young, old and rare bottles opened up in various formats too.
Everyone who has ever been a part of
can join in the fun. The theme is wide open ... bring a fine bottle to share for each event you'll attend. There will be a minimum of 2 tastings and a good possiblity of 3. Depending on how many attendees we'll have, the festivities will be held at a restaurant or hotel. Once I get a feel for the number of people interested, I'll negotiate some great room rates at a convenient and comfortable, reasonably priced hotel here in the Seattle area.
This will turn into an annual event and should be a ton of fun and a great way to meet others from this Forum. Whether we have 5 of us or 100+ turn out, we'll make it work logistically and have a fantastic time with some mighty fine Ports and Douro wines along the way.
So, please feel free to express your thoughts on any particulars and respond to the attached poll so we can get a feel for the dates sooner rather than later. I have chosen January, because the flights for that time frame will be much lower than if I chose December with the holidays coming up. The weather here is fairly tame, with a good chance of rain ... (light rain typically) but we'll be indoors 99% of the time anyway. The sooner we have some consensus on dates, the quicker we can get to planning the details. Please let me know if there is anything that you think will make this more fun or easier for a larger group to attend.I hope to meet many of you and see others that I rarely have the opportunity to greet in person! I can promise this is going to be one of the most fun Port weekend events held in 2009!
[b]1. Roy Hersh - humble organizer and donator of a case of Port
2. Stewart Todd - I wouldn't miss it for the world
3. Andy Velebil - 93 bottles ... I'm there
4. Glenn Elliott - finally, I will be subjected to more than a half dozen bottles at once
5. Eric Ifune - You can count on me!
6. David Spriggs - Duh!
7. Moses Botbol - If Andy is going, I have to be there too, to represent the E. Coast
8. Kris Henderson - I live close and love Port
9. Sean Corrigan - committment-phobic, but probable unless ... I decide to watch the Super Bowl
10. Mark J. - looking forward to seeing you again
11. Todd Estroff - The good doctor knows and loves his Port and Madeira
12. Jay Powers - Have Port, will travel!
13. Michael Miller - A savvy retailer with a history for Port
14/15. Jeffrey and Laura Karp - will the Giants keep them away?
16. Rich Nigro
17. Richard Beeken - May take Todd P's place as the lone Edmonton participant
18.Eric Menchen - Deciding between skiing and a great weekend of Port.[/b]