Difference between Crusted Port and LBV?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

pgwerner

Difference between Crusted Port and LBV?

Post by pgwerner »

Other than the fact that Crusted Port is a blend of several vintages, how does Crusted Port differ from an unfiltered LBV?

Also, I've only found Dow's Crusted Port for sale here in the Bay Area (and only then in a very few stores). I've heard Churchill makes one as well, but have never seen it. Does any other port house make Crusted Port?

Thanks,
Peter
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A crusted port is much closer in stlye to a VP than a LBV. LBV's are bottled between four and six years after the vintage. Where Crusted are bottled after about two years. Crusted ports are basically a VP that is a blend of 2-3 vintages. They are designed to be drunk, primarily, after about 6 years of age. However, they can age for quite some time like a traditional VP. The only date you need to be concerened with on Crusted is the date of bottling.

With the exception of Warre and Smith-Woodhouse, most LBV's are filtered and require no decanting. Where Crusted are unfiltered and will through a sediment and should be decanted.

If I recall Crusted ports were banned by the IVP around 1996, then under the newer regulations allowed again. I believe Grahams is the other major producer of Crusted ports.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

Andy has provided some fine information above. I'd just add that Crusted Ports have always been far more popular in the UK than the US. It was a category like VP that was developed for the UK market. In the USA there are only 2-3 producer's Crusted Ports that make it over here. I have only had young ones and never experienced a really old Crusted Port.

I am sure some of the folks from the EU will chime in with brands they see in their market place.

A fine topic and it is my pleasure to welcome you here to the Forum!
I hope you have signed up for the Newsletter too.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
pgwerner

Post by pgwerner »

Thanks for the info. The only point I would dispute is the following:

"With the exception of Warre and Smith-Woodhouse, most LBV's are filtered and require no decanting."

Actually, unfiltered LBVs are quite common, even in the US. (These are the kind I always buy, even though I never actually cellar them.) Ramos-Pinto, Warre's, Quinta do Noval, Smith-Woodhouse, Quinta do Crasto, Niepoort, Rozes, and probably a number of others all offer unfiltered LBVs. (Noval apparently makes both filtered and unfiltered LBVs.) Admittedly, most of the "big names" other than Warre's and Noval do filter their LBVs.

A good place to put in a plug - Ramos-Pinto LBV has to be one of the all-time great bargains in the port world. It typically goes for $15/bottle here in San Francisco (used to be at K&L, now found at Wine Club) and its simply an outstanding LBV - a favorite of mine alongside Smith-Woodhouse and Quinta do Crasto.

Roy - I will definitely sign up for the newsletter. I have been a Port/Madeira/sweet fortified enthusiast for about the last 10 years now, but have only discovered this site a couple of days ago. I unfortunately don't know any other serious Port enthusiasts, even among my vinophile friends, so I've had to learn about this world largely on my own. I attended one of Mario Ferreira's tasting events at the Fairmont back in 2002, but have been completely "out of the loop" since then, and from past newsletters see that there was a 2004 tasting in SF that I missed completely. It also seems that Mario has now left SF, so we may not get to see these events in the future. :cry:

Peter
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter,

You are right, and I should have clarified. In regards to filtered LBV's, I was refering to the major houses as they are the ones most often seen in stores.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

I assume you have seen by now that Mario is a frequent poster here, not to mention my business partner in the travel business from this website (until our new one is launched this year). Have a look at the WINE TRAVEL on the homepage of this site and you'll see the trips and tastings Mario will take part in during the next few months.
Welcome aboard!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com