Next London Offline - A Vesuvio Vertical

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Next London Offline - A Vesuvio Vertical

Post by Al B. »

The date for the next London Offline has now been set. It will take place in the evening of Monday May 8, starting at 5pm and running on to approximately 10pm. The venue will be in Central London, probably at the Crusted Pipe in Covent Garden.

The theme will be A Complete Tasting of All 13 Vintages of Vesuvio 1989 to 2003.

This event again coincides with Roy's travel plans as he returns home from Portugal, so he will be joining us (barring unforseen circumstances).

The cost will be approximately £110 per person, which will INCLUDE the wine and a three course buffet meal.

If anyone is interested in attending, please let me know either by reply here, private message or by dropping me an email. With luck, the advance warning may allow some of the forum members in Europe but outside the UK to attend - as Mario did last time.

I've had a couple of people ask me where I intend to source the wine - the answer is that I intend to show only wines of impeccable provenance. If necessary, this means that I will take them out of my own stock but since much of my stock is in bond I'm trying to find another option. If anyone interested in attending the offline has Vesuvio wine which was bought en primeur or on first shipping to the UK and would be willing to contribute towards the tasting then please PM me.

Thanks.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

I have sent you a PM.

Derek
NickA

Post by NickA »

Alex,

Just one thing in your post here not mentioned earlier - the 5pm start! I wasn't expecting to take a day off work for this (and probably wouldn't, to be honest), as 7 would be about the earliest for me otherwise. That's a hard and fast is it? And seems best overall?

Cheers
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Nick,

I've sent you a PM in reply.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Just an idea ....

What if in order to lower the price of admission, folks were to ante up bottles that were purchased on release? This could make the price more palateable for some that might shy away from an event like this.

Secondly, would a compromise of a start time, say 6 p.m. make it easier on folks to make the beginning of this tasting?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

The only problem with everybody bringing his Vesuvio for the tasting is with the sediments and the decanting time if you want it the same for every bottle. How do you deal with a bottle that has been shaken 30 before the tasting? Unless you trust the guy and decant your own bottle and take his for you cellar. Just my 2 cents.

Just to say that when you first talked about this tasting I said I'd be interested but it was suppose to be in march/april. May is too far away for me to commit right now as I have plans for something else that have higher priority right now.

So if at the last minute I can join, which I'd really like, I'll tell you at that time. I've never been in England and I'd really like to meet you guys!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fred - if you find nearer the time that you can make it to England for May 8th then let us know. I'm sure we can squeeze one more round the table. If you can't come over in May but are able to visit at some other time (next time you travel to or from Portugal, maybe?) then let us know and we will organise something.

Tasters - I've had a couple of comments on the timing and responded to both to say that I am flexible. Nearer the date I will probably confirm that we will start at 6pm and run through until 11pm. Please say if this will be a problem for anyone.

I have also had some offers of wines that were purchased on release and will continue to be happy to hear from people who have bottles available. I haven't made any decisions yet and plan not to do so until nearer the time once I have fully understood what is available and what options I have. So far I have had offers for the '94, '95, '96 and '03 vintages.

There are currently 3 places still available at the tasting and a reserve list of 6 people who won't know their availability until nearer the time. The tasting will certainly go ahead as we have enough people to make it worthwhile. If anyone not on the reserve list would like to take one of the three remaining places then please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Alex
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Much as I would like to attend, 8th May is very much an impossible date. Anyone that is married will appreciate (or at least guess) why.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

We had to cut short a golf trip because of Mother's Day last year. Thought we were being proactive in scheduling it a little earlier, but then someone realized what we'd done.

:D

Unless of course you're referring to your anniversary, which trumps that.

Mike.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

It's the anniversary :shock: 13 years.
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

Congratulations!

Mike.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

KillerB,

Why not bring LadyB along?

Derek
Justin Willott

Post by Justin Willott »

The 8th May sounds grand. As I've pm'd I'd rather bring a bottle and pay a lower fee as Roy suggested above.

As for venue, have you considered The Don in St Swithins Lane? I went there for lunch at the brasserie a few weeks ago (and next week) and it was very good. It has a brasserie (in the cellars) and a lighter/brighter restaurant upstairs. It wouldn't be open at weekends though. Here is an extract from their website and a Telegraph article:

"Tucked away in a tiny courtyard off a City sidestreet near Bank Station, the Don Restaurant and Bistro occupies the atmospheric old Sandeman Port cellars, where for 200 years the famous sherries, madeiras and ports were bottled. Noted for its top - quality modern Gallic food, its prize-winning wine list (with London’s largest selection of ports and sherries), and its “excellent and attentive service” the Don won the BMW/Square Meal award for London’s best new restaurant when it opened."

“George Sandeman is so chuffed with The Don he has returned the original signage from Sandeman’s Oporto business to its former home.”
Daily Telegraph
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In addition to the Vesuvio's you have already been offered, I have pristine bottles of 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001. Actually the only vintage I can't bring is the '99.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Derek Turnbull wrote:KillerB,

Why not bring LadyB along?

Derek
Derek - you're playing with my life here.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Everybody knows that LadyKillerB only exists in KillerB's mind.
NickA

Post by NickA »

Actually a port offline is about the only kind I could possibly tempt my wife along too...I might just test the water. However, on the horizon is an early-Mid may trip to Kuwait...which is about as welcome as...well, what would you think...!
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Seems like a nice tasting...but chances are Ronnie and myself will be in Portugal then. I'll definately keep it in mind, though - would love to meet the UK-posters!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Just a brief update; Ben Campbell-Johnston works for the Symingtons UK representatives, John E Fells & Sons.

Ben has been kindly working on our behalf with the Symingtons and has managed to secure bottles of each of the wines that we will be tasting directly from the Quinta. This means that we can be sure of the provenance of each of the wines and will have the best chance possible to taste the wines at their peak. There is also a small possibility that we may also be able to taste a wine that will not be available in the UK at the time of the tasting, but this is by no means certain.

Many thanks to Ben for his work on our behalf.

Still some places available if anyone is able and wants to commit to attending.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

Great job. Would you please post a list of the folks who have signed up so far?