FEB. 2009: VT THEME - 1997 VINTAGE PORT

This forum is designed to help facilitate virtual tastings.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: FEB. 2009: VT THEME - 1997 VINTAGE PORT

Post by Glenn E. »

Carlos Rodriguez wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Grr! The 1997 Romariz that I have on order has been delayed. :hoppingmad:

Hopefully it will arrive in the warehouse by the end of this week, get inspected and approved for shipment early next week, and then possibly arrive the last week of the month so I can still get in on the month's VT.
Glenn, I also hope it arrive this Romariz to you. I want to see how does it taste :lol: .
:cry:

I just received word that my 1997 Romariz VP (and the 1963 Romariz Colheita that I ordered at the same time) still have not arrived at the main office for inspection, so it looks like I won't have it in time for this month's virtual tasting.

However... it was really inexpensive, so it could serve double duty next month as both a "budget" VP and a 1997!
Glenn Elliott
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

Glenn E. wrote:However... it was really inexpensive, so it could serve double duty next month as both a "budget" VP and a 1997!
Yes :D , that are goood news... :thanks:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am not in the mood to drink anything as old as a 1997 right now. I think my next bottle will be a 2003. No, I am not kidding. A bright reference point it will make.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am not in the mood to drink anything as old as a 1997 right now.
I'm not biting :Naughty: :snooty: :beat:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am serious ... for a change. :shock:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Opened a ' 97 Niepoort as per theme .
After removing the seal , there definite signs of seepage . :(
The cork smelled lickorice .
Any signs of fruit were gone .
Even after several hours of decanting , the imbalance I noticed upon opening was ever present .
The alcool was showing more and the finish was short . 13.5 / 20
The only bright spot , was the fact that my 7 yr old daughter decanted her 1st bottle of Port :)
To see the smile on her face when she completed pouring the wine steadily and then without asking ,
smelled the carafe ( As If she'd been doing It all her life ) .
All is not lost !!
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Congrats on your daughters first decanting :clap: sorry to hear about the bottle as it sounds like it was corked with the lack of fruit. As for the seepage signs, as has been talked about a lot there are a lot of these that had that problem from the bottling line, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of it self.

BTW, can you copy this to the tasting note section as well. That way it is easier to find later when the new database is up and running...thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

O.K.. will copy .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .