Do you have a list of vintages for each producer?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Do you have a list of vintages for each producer?

Post by Eric Menchen »

And if so, would you mind sharing it?

I started to put together an Excel spreadsheet of vintage years for producers as I wanted to track what I had tasted, which things were on Roy's top 12, which I own, etc. Some producers were easy, e.g. Graham's which has a complete list on its website, but as I trudged through some of the others I realized this was going to take a while. A few people have mentioned in some of the other threads having such a list, so I thought I'd ask here before I spent a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

For now I was just starting with VPs. I figure I might add in SQVPs and Colheitas later.

-Eric
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Do you have a list of vintages for each producer?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I do have a paper list that I got somewhere that shows who declared in what years. IIRC it goes back to about 1900 or a tad earlier. It's on paper and I would have to find it. But I'd be more that happy to copy it and send you a copy. I'll try to find it this week and let you know.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

This is very spooky!!!!

I just logged on to this website to post the following message:

I am currently researching all VP declarations so that someone with suitable skills can generate one or more whizzy things. I currently have 1421 decalred VPs on my list from 1815 to 2006. I suspect I have missed some.

Could I please ask those who are organised enough to keep TN's and cellar lists to send me a list of the VPs (including SQVPs) they have either owned or tasted so that I can compare their list with my own and possibly fill some of the gaps. I only need to know the shipper and the year, not how many you own or how much you paid or what it tasted like. Please only supply data relating to VP, not any other style of Port or port.

Thanks
Derek

The first post I found was this one :shock:

So, if anyone would like to send me their lists I will happily combine them with my own. The end result will be available to anyone who has a use for it :wink:
Robin L.

Post by Robin L. »

Eric and Derek,
If by any chance you could be interested by the list I have set up last summer, I'll be happy to help you but it only includes the 1977-2006 era. It does not includes VP not on the market, 2006 were not all declared at that time and it certainly not have the pretention to be a complete list but it might be a good start.
Robin Levesque
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Robin,

That sounds like a very cool undertaking on your part. With all the Ports you must consume, I can only hope we'll see you around :ftlop: more often in the future. I'd also like to see your list whenever you have the chance. My email address is: [email protected]

Thank you in advance!

In all seriousness, it is nice to see you back here again. :scholar:

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carlos Rodriguez

Post by Carlos Rodriguez »

I also will like to have this list (and try to help to complete it if so).
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Over the past few days I have been emailing almost everyone in the port trade that I have contact details for asking them to provide lists of declared vintages from the shippers/producers they represent. I have to say that the response has been overwhelmingly helpful and productive.

Perhaps some of the port shippers who I do not know may read this thread and decide to send me their contact details or a list of declared vintages so that the list can continue to grow? 8--)

A big thanks to all those who have helped so far.

Derek
Carlos Rodriguez

Robin :thanks:

Why don't we make it also for earlier VP than 1977?
Last edited by Carlos Rodriguez on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos Rodriguez

Here are some that are missing:

- Barros: 2005 - Burmester Q. Nova Nsa Snra Do Carmo; 2005 - Gilbert's: 2005 - Kopke Quinta De S. Luiz: 1982, 1985, 1987, 2002, 2004 - Krohn: 2005 - Messias: 2005 - Pocas: 2004, 2005 - Pocas Santa Barbara: 1999 - Q. Do Castelinho: 1999 - Q. Do Infantado: 1992 - Q. Do Noval Malgahaes: 2000 - Rozes Spa: 2000, 2001, 2003 - Rozes Quinta Do Grifo: 2003

- Quevedo: 2005
- Don Pablo ( C. DA SILVA): 1982, 1987 , 1994, 1995, 1997
- Insignia: 1998
- Real Companhia Velha: 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004 - R.C.V. Quinta Das Carvalhas: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Robertson's Rebello Valente: 1977, 1985
- Souza: 1978
- Quinta Da Peca: 2003
- Caves Santa Marta: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002
- Casa De Sta. Eufemia: 1999, 2003
- Monte Bravo: 1999, 2000
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek,

Do you have a comprehensive list of Taylor, Fonseca and Croft?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Derek,

Do you have a comprehensive list of Taylor, Fonseca and Croft?
I have a list from a contact at TFP but have sent some queries back and the list is currently being validated. Is there something in particular that you are looking for?
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I've sent Derek my list of 1519 known VP's, which I know is not exhaustive.

There are several complications to overcome, such as VP's that were made, but not declared, and those that are only identifiable by the bottler's or merchant's name.

There is also the matter of VP's that are known to have existed, but have probably been drunk to extinction.. :cry:

A small concern of mine is that while VP accounts for only about 2% of production, it enjoys perhaps 98% of the historical record.

A directory of the main producer's other products, both past and present, would be a useful resource..

..maybe, just maybe, they might even consider announcing new products and VP declarations on sites such as this.. :roll:

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There are several complications to overcome, such as VP's that were made, but not declared, and those that are only identifiable by the bottler's or merchant's name.

There is also the matter of VP's that are known to have existed, but have probably been drunk to extinction..
Excellent points Tom! :clap:

One more tht I can think of: The VPs that were made, declared and exist nowhere except in the Lodge cellars in Gaia, due to their scarcity. This especially take into play 1815-1924 vintages
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Out of curiosity, how does this picture jive with everyone's lists for Sandeman?

(I'd embed it, but it's a little too large for that.)
Glenn Elliott