Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Need Video Suggestions

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't get too excited my friend. :shock:

Most of the movie is about the relationship of two sisters, one of whom spent a great deal of time in prison (Kristin Scott Thomas) and this was one of the top foreign films of 2008, in fact I believe it was nominated for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

DARN!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: It is not for everybody ... that is for sure and it is a bit depressing, but that is a given with most movies from France. :wink:
Speaking of French films that are not for everyone, this one is certainly very intense, and not for the faint of heart. A riveting movie

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Title: 13 Tzameti
Description: Sebastian, a young man, has decided to follow instructions intended for someone else, without knowing where they will take him.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Would you believe I have a larger movie collection than I do wine? Somewhere in the 2000 range for both, but more movies than bottles (unless you account for the large formats ; )

Anyway, I have put 13 Tzameti at the top of my Netflix queue and thank you to Moses!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think this one is outstanding and I only saw it once before last night (back in 1995) but it is more of a movie to watch with your kids before they're teenagers. Really cool premise and so well done:

The Secret of Roan Inish.

Loved it!!!! My daughter has not stopped talking about it all day today and stayed up later than ever before to see it to the very end. :clap:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Any Anne Hathaway fans out there? If you like her looks and/or acting, you'll love this flick that nobody talks about but is edgy, young and I imagine it is a far cry from her stint in the Princess Diaries. :wink:

Check out 2005's: HAVOC
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, I need another good flick to see ... whether in the theater or DVD. Anyone?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:OK, I need another good flick to see ... whether in the theater or DVD. Anyone?
East/West (French: Est-Ouest; Russian title: Восток-Запад) is a French (-Ukrainian-Russian-Spanish-Bulgarian) film about two who move to Soviet Union after WWII to become Communists. Didn't go as expected. True story.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

If you want a good but disheartening movie, Pu-239.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To all at :ftlop:

Besides my family, I am really missing some great movies. Keep 'em coming as you see something really worthy!
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

Genre: Drama
Title: The Sisters
Comment: Maria Bello, Rip Torn, Tony Goldwyn, Erika Christensen, Mary Stuart Masterson, Elizabeth Banks... based on a similarly titled Chekhov play... this has some really biting dialog, all the way through. Lots of interfamily drama but fun in a really dark way and a little sad. Loved it.

Genre: Political Drama
Title: House of Cards (3 disc/12 episode BBC series from the early 90s)
Comment: Ian Richardson (absolutely love this guy in this) who is a bit of an anti-hero, Machiavellian schemer. If conservatives came as charming, smart and witty as this character, I might actually vote Republican one day for something other than mayor. :evil: But seriously, this is yet another gem I discovered by accident and nearly passed it over because I was way too tired when I first put it on. I loved it so much I bought a set and it remains one of my faves. Dark, quasi satirical political interplay. Fun characters, great dialog as well and lots of dark comedic moments. If you're looking for a little sexual intrigue it's there also. Ian Richardson's asides to the viewer add a bit of a theatrical touch and are deliciously brilliant, always worth a rewind if you miss them. Our politicians are not half as entertaining as this nor, typically, so absolutely articulate.

I also second the Tombstone recommendation. Been years since I saw it though.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

This was on cable tonight and I hadn't seen it in a long time, but what a good movie. Almost Famous

I love the part where the kid goes to the rock concert to do his first interview and his mom (played by Frances McDormand) drops him off and then yells out the window, "Don't do drugs" as everyone around him laughs at him...totally classic! Frances McDormand does a great job as the mom who is a free spirit yet ultra conservative at the same time. Although not music related, it brings back lots of memories of my teenage years that I spent traveling around the US racing bikes and the wild adventures we had at a time when there was no cell phones and internet. Not to mention very little adult supervision :twisted:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Speaking of French films that are not for everyone, this one is certainly very intense, and not for the faint of heart. A riveting movie

Description: Sebastian, a young man, has decided to follow instructions intended for someone else, without knowing where they will take him.
Moses,

You are one crazy dude. Although I have to look up what Tzameti means, I can say that this was certainly a very disturbing film and powerful. The taut action and fine acting were worthy. Nonetheless, I can't say "thanks" for this reco, as I wish I had not seen it, but too late now. This was about as much fun as a weekend visit to Auschwitz.

OK, so it was not French (Tzameti) but it makes sense ... the GR 13 13.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:

Moses,

You are one crazy dude. Although I have to look up what Tzameti means, I can say that this was certainly a very disturbing film and powerful. The taut action and fine acting were worthy. Nonetheless, I can't say "thanks" for this reco, as I wish I had not seen it, but too late now. This was about as much fun as a weekend visit to Auschwitz.

OK, so it was not French (Tzameti) but it makes sense ... the GR 13 13.
Just as I described... Once you realize what he gets mixed up in, it's quite riveting... I did say this was a feel good comedy... :type:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I did say this was a feel good comedy...
If you think this was comedy ... I'd hate to be around you in a dark mood. :shock:
Just kidding as I realize that had to be a :type:O
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Genre: Italian Neo-Realism
Title: Umberto D (1952)
Comment: Whenever you need a good cry, this movie satisfies. Depressing, but not without heart. Shows how a man and his "best friend" can cope with hard times. The last scene was gripping.

Amazingly, the main character was not a professional actor, yet delivered such a powerful performance.

Oh yeah, and directed by Vittorio De Sica, a genius.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't remember why I haven't posted these before, but perhaps we've talked about them and I've just forgotten.

Genre: action, drama
Title: Seven Samurai
Comment: Akira Kurosawa's classic starring Toshiro Mifune that inspired The Magnificent Seven (starring Yul Brinner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, and Robert Vaughn). In fact, parts of The Magnificent Seven are so faithful to Seven Samurai that the camera angles used to shoot some of the scenes are the same. For extra enjoyment, watch Seven Samurai one night and The Magnificent Seven the next.

Genre: action, drama
Title: Yojimbo
Comment: Another Akira Kurosawa classic adapted from the book Red Harvest. This one inspired A Fistful of Dollars (directed by Sergio Leone and starring Clint Eastwood). It further inspired Last Man Standing (starring Bruce Willis. All three movies have different settings - feudal Japan, a spaghetti Western, and 1920's gangsters. It is interesting to note that Sanjuro, the sequel to Yojimbo, has almost nothing to do with A Few Dollars More or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly which were the sequels to A Fistful of Dollars.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Sanjuro had more humor than Yojimbo. I've always enjoyed it more, despite Yojimbo being a "better" movie. Another Kurosawa film is the "Hidden Fortress." One of the influences on "Star Wars." Sort of an over the top Samurai film. "Throne of Blood" was Kurosawa's version of Macbeth and another worthwhile view.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've seen Hidden Fortress also and can see the connection with Star Wars, but I didn't think that the film was one of Kurosawa's better works. As much as I didn't enjoy Ran, it's clearly a better movie than Hidden Fortress.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ran, Kurosawa's take on King Lear, is one of my favorites. I have read that the DVD version isn't all that great in terms of the transfer from film, which is disappointing. I own it on VHS, which also doesn't do it justice.