Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Re: Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:If you have Netflix, the biopic about Motley Crue called The Dirt is awesome. They cover a lot of ground in less than 2 hours so don't expect every detail to be covered. However, it's a really good insight and overview of the band from start to finish.
That one is on our shortlist. Probably watch this weekend. Another great Netflix movie is "Ronnie Coleman - The King" What a legend and fascinating guy.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81018183
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

I read the Motley Cru bio book "The Dirt" so I was pretty excited to see that Netflix picked it up for a transfer to the screen. I plan to watch it soon.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Lindsay E. wrote:I read the Motley Cru bio book "The Dirt" so I was pretty excited to see that Netflix picked it up for a transfer to the screen. I plan to watch it soon.
The movie was fantastic and very entertaining. Not one for kids though FYI
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My daughter likes scary movies and so we went together to see US. Unusual and more creepy than scary, but I guess if that's your genre, it is worthwhile.

I also saw recently, HOTEL MUMBAI and it was far better than the aforementioned movie and had me a LOT more uncomfortable.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jojo Rabbit. I figured this would be an average movie. Turns out to be the best movie I've seen all year. If doesn't win some awards I'll be bummed.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Just saw the Joker
Disturbing to say the least
Joaquin Phoenix got to the heart and soul of the Joker
Impressive :clap:
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Well, with no movie theaters open for me, here's my take on a bunch of movies available on Netflix, in something of a rank ordering:
  1. Snowpiercer - This is a movie (there is also a TV series now) by Bong Joon-ho, who won Oscars this year for Parasite. I haven't seen Parasite yet, but really thought this movie was well done. It more post-apocalyptic than sci-fi.
  2. The Old Guard - Charlize Theron in an action thriller. If you find the premise of the first five minutes acceptable (immortals who fight a lot), you will probably like this. I enjoyed it. But don't go looking for some deep meaning, character development, or plausible villains.
  3. Angel Has Fallen - A lot like the above, a little less supernatural, but not much more believable.
  4. Okja - Also by Bong Joon-ho. I found this entertaining, but not as good as Snowpiercer
  5. The Death of Stalin - Somewhat funny, but not incredibly so.
  6. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie - Breaking Bad was great. This was more like a wine with a short finish.
  7. The Wandering Earth - O.k., so the Chinese can do special effects movies now. But they need some work on editing and storytelling for this one to work. It just jumped around too much.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

If you like a funny movie, Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) is a good one with Will Ferrell

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8580274/

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 pm
  1. Snowpiercer - This is a movie (there is also a TV series now) by Bong Joon-ho, who won Oscars this year for Parasite. I haven't seen Parasite yet, but really thought this movie was well done. It more post-apocalyptic than sci-fi.
We watched the TV show, and while it was reasonably enjoyable I had numerous problems with it from a sci-fi perspective. They were almost bad enough to make me stop watching, but I managed to hang on until the end of the 1st season at which point they introduce yet another huge problem. I doubt I'll watch the second season.

Normally with sci-fi you have to hand-wave a few things because it's sci-fi. They're supposed to have advanced technology that we either don't have yet, or think are impossible. (See: Star Trek warp drive.) That's part of what makes it sci-fi, and that's fine. But you still expect sci-fi to make sense from within its own universe, and for me Snowpiercer fails that bar in multiple ways.

I won't go into the problems I have with it here because they'd all be spoilers, but if you want to know just PM me.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm We watched the TV show, and while it was reasonably enjoyable I had numerous problems with it from a sci-fi perspective.
Hmmm. I had considered watching the TV show, but maybe I'll just stick with my enjoyment of the movie.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:42 pm We watched the TV show, and while it was reasonably enjoyable I had numerous problems with it from a sci-fi perspective.
Hmmm. I had considered watching the TV show, but maybe I'll just stick with my enjoyment of the movie.
I've never seen the movie, but from what I understand a fair number of my issues with the sci-fi would have to be part of the movie as well.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Train to Busan is a well done Zombie flick from Korea. I believe it's on Netflix
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Olivier V

Post by Olivier V »

I've recently watched Jojo Rabbit as well, and went in with rather low expectations, as I was quite skeptical about the idea behind the movie. And man, was I pleasantly wrong! It really deals with the harsh topic in a much smarter way than what I expected, and it's especially good as I was used to seeing the opposite situation these days.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The Queen's Gambit
on Netflix

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The new Borat 2 movie. I'm generally not a fan of his but he did a good job on this one. FYI, not a kid-safe movie.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

While more of a mini-series than a movie, I would like to recommend "Unbelievable" on Netflix. Its a really good police procedural mini series that has all of the qualities of a great movie....good cinematography, great acting, great pacing, and its based on a true story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Unorthodox on Netflix is a great short series. Gives a glimpse into the Orthodox Jewish community in a way that is rarely shown on film. Great story.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81019069

And "Un Freilichen Pesach" to those who are celebrating Passover. [cheers.gif]
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Nomadland starring Frances McDormand is a beautiful, poignant movie. If she doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actress this year then she was robbed.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:Nomadland starring Frances McDormand is a beautiful, poignant movie. If she doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actress this year then she was robbed.
I like that movie as well.
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

During the Xfinity watch-a-thon free cable week I was able to binge season 1-3 of "Yellowstone" (its on the Paramount network), and a 4 part mini-series call "Bloodlands" (originally aired on BBC One, and now available on ACORN network). Bloodlands is a police procedural dealing with some residual issues from "The Troubles" in Ireland. Yellowstone is a modern day Western set in Montana. I found both shows to be very entertaining.