Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Need New Movie + Video Suggestions

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Just watched Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino's break-through movie before Pulp Fiction. A tense, awesome movie if you can stomach the hardest scene (not giving that away). Overall an A.
Have always loved this movie since it came out. And yes that scene is hard for to watch given my profession is the same.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
John M. wrote:Just watched Reservoir Dogs, Quentin Tarantino's break-through movie before Pulp Fiction. A tense, awesome movie if you can stomach the hardest scene (not giving that away). Overall an A.
Have always loved this movie since it came out. And yes that scene is hard for to watch given my profession is the same.
Andy, you're a bank robber?!? :-P
-Brad

Eric C

Post by Eric C »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
[rotfl.gif]
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards / Cordialement / Met vriendelijke groeten / lembranças
Eric C
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
Shhh don't tell anyone. Thought it was the ear cut off scene.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Andy--does this mean, as an homage to port, you're Mr. Purple?

[bye2.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Andy--does this mean, as an homage to port, you're Mr. Purple?

[bye2.gif]
No, he's on another job [rotfl.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Peter W. Meek wrote:Watched Life Of Pi (2012). I'm not sure what we were expecting, but this wasn't it. I can sort of see where the Oscars came from, but maybe it was just a bit disturbing. We will be showing it again next Monday for our weekly MNATM showing. Maybe a second viewing (with all the disturbing parts blunted by a second exposure) will reveal more.

I have to say, that after the first showing, I just felt tense. And it lasted for quite a while. This is not what I expect to feel after watching an Oscar movie. Maybe it was just me.
I don't think it was just you. I'm still not sure how I felt about that movie. I do think a second watching would reveal more, but I'm not up for it.

I will say this. If you are intent on watching Life of Pi, you should definitely try it in an HD version. It is visually very rich and I was glad we were watching on Blu-ray.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I watched LIFE OF PI in Colorado, last Thanksgiving time in 3D and for the very first time, felt it added nothing visually or to the experience. However, I thought the movie itself was powerful and brilliant.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Eric Menchen wrote:I will say this. If you are intent on watching Life of Pi, you should definitely try it in an HD version. It is visually very rich and I was glad we were watching on Blu-ray.
Not BluRay, but 1080p on a 120" projection screen. It was spectacular. I have since watched it again, and the second time was not quite so disturbing. I expect that maybe a third time, after several months may reveal more.

Certainly worth watching regardless of how many times you plan to experience it.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

O.k. 1080p on a 120" would probably be better than our Blu-ray, but I'll take that over DVD.

I like 3D movies, but didn't watch Life of Pi in 3D, nor do I feel the need to. I could see it being a distraction.

I found the aspect ratio shift a distraction. At first I thought it was done just in the movie->disc transfer, then I read that Ang Lee did it intentionally. Maybe it was less annoying in the theater.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Watched a brilliant film: FINDING FORRESTER, a Gus van Zandt flick which vastly exceeded my expectations, which is saying a lot. Find it on cable or Netflix. A very poignant film and superbly scripted, with outstanding portrayals by both lead actors. About one man's journey to re-discover his beloved Scotland, while his friend makes discoveries of his own, with a little help from his friend. LOTS more layers to this sweet onion.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Watched a brilliant film: FINDING FORRESTER, a Gus van Zandt flick which vastly exceeded my expectations, which is saying a lot. Find it on cable or Netflix. A very poignant film and superbly scripted, with outstanding portrayals by both lead actors. About one man's journey to re-discover his beloved Scotland, while his friend makes discoveries of his own, with a little help from his friend. LOTS more layers to this sweet onion.
You've never seen this before? A fantastic movie it is!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Anyone see the new HBO movie on Liberace, "Behind the Candelabra"?

I thought it was a great movie, but they should've had more background on how much money he was making at the beginning. Many younger people just weren't aware of how big he was in realation to stars of today. Some more piano playing would've been good too. As a piano player, I adored his style of play and the whole schtick as a kid. Amazing entertainer.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Anyone see the new HBO movie on Liberace, "Behind the Candelabra"?

I thought it was a great movie, but they should've had more background on how much money he was making at the beginning. Many younger people just weren't aware of how big he was in realation to stars of today. Some more piano playing would've been good too. As a piano player, I adored his style of play and the whole schtick as a kid. Amazing entertainer.
I watched it. Thought the acting was very well done across the board, and I'm not keen on Matt Damon as an actor. Michal Douglas hit a home run acting wise I thought. And Rob Lowe was fantastic as well (also generally not a big fan of him as an actor). Supposedly the real doctor had alcohol in the operating room when he operated on Liberace. It is said he had his own addiction problems as well. Not exactly who i would want operating on me.

Agree more piano playing would have been nice. But the movie really was about Thorson's view of his relationship with Liberace, the people around Liberace, and of course the entertainment side and how it related to those people around them and not so much about his actual talent.

Interesting to note when he died his estate was worth about 115 million or so. While that went a bit further 30 years ago it does show how much less they were compensated compared to many of today's top performers. For example, Bono from U2 is worth about 600 million.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Interesting to note when he died his estate was worth about 115 million or so. While that went a bit further 30 years ago it does show how much less they were compensated compared to many of today's top performers. For example, Bono from U2 is worth about 600 million.
In Vegas, he was making like 300K a week! He gave away a lot of money too.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

Not only had I never seen FINDING FORRESTER, I had never heard of it.

Another fine but fairly violent film (in Portuguese with English subtitles) that I watched recently was CITY OF GOD. I think someone had mentioned here in this thread at one time. It was about the bad ass drug scene in Brazil and how it spiraled out of control in the slum called, City of God.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote: Another fine but fairly violent film (in Portuguese with English subtitles) that I watched recently was CITY OF GOD. I think someone had mentioned here in this thread at one time. It was about the bad ass drug scene in Brazil and how it spiraled out of control in the slum called, City of God.
Great and almost "iconic" film. Been a while since I saw it. Very real feeling.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

You know, I was pretty sure it was you Moses, who had posted about it here at one point in time.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy,

Not only had I never seen FINDING FORRESTER, I had never heard of it.

d.
Glad you discovered it!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Here is a great video suggestion on Port wine. If you don't like this ... I'll be shocked. Thanks Christian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Cpj-GvOek