What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Lars F

Re: What Port(s) have you purchased this week?

Post by Lars F »

Bought a magnum bottle of Kopke Vintage Port 2006 Quinta São Luíz yesterday. My very first mag.
2006 is my sons birth year :?

-Lars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lars F wrote: My very first mag.
2006 is my sons birth year :?

-Lars
I highly recommend the 2006 Vesuvio. Since :ftlop: toes spent some time in the lagar stomping the grapes, you can tell him that dads Port friends did it just for him :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Let's see....this week I've purchased 3 bottles of Cockburn 20 y.o. tawny for $26.00/bottle, a bottle of 1991 Delaforce, a bottle of 1994 Churchill and a bottle of 1983 Ramos-Pinto.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Two cases of 1994 Taylor. Expensive, but good stuff!
-Dave-
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

David Spriggs wrote:Two cases of 1994 Taylor.
Sweet. Party at Dave's place, in about 10 years.

Delaforce 1985, 1994, 2000.
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

So far, I have grabbed a couple of bottles of 1985 Dow's for $55 each. I tried this vintage in last July at the Graham's cellar and absolutely loved it. Since I have a couple of more bottles of it coming, I may just have to decant the one I purchased last November ($75) tonight! :winepour:
Lars F

Post by Lars F »

One Noval 10 Y tawny and a case of Burmester 1986 Colheita :winepour:

-Lars
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Well...not port, but picked up Cossart Gordon 10 Year Madeira Bual for weekend at my friend's house in Raleigh, NC. This Madeira needs a lot of decanting time. I suprised how closed it was when we first opened it. Muted taste with not as much acid as I like. Decent length, but a little disappointing.

Overall, I would put it at "decent". Broadbent 10 Year is leaps and bounds better in my opinion. It's been a while, but I have fond memories of Leacocks 10 Year Bual as being much better as well (neither Broadbent or Leacocks was available at the time of purchase).

Finally recieved a case of 1980 Graham that had been storage for almost a year. Not sure if that counts as recent purchase... more like recent addition to the cellar.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Not Port but some rare 1999 Quinta do Crasto Tinta Roriz Douro wine 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I also picked up another bottle of 1991 Delaforce, a bottle of '85 Ferreira, a bottle of 1978 Quinta da Roeda and finally a bottle of 1995 Quinta da Roeda.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ooops! Well, the previous weekend I went O-for-6 with some online bids, and had a similar experience with my bids at TCWC a couple of months ago--nothing, nada, zilch. So last week I put in about 10 bids online and 8 at TCWC. Well, I hit the lottery* and won about 75% this time through. I hadn't quite planned on that, so my Port buying is over for May. I bought a variety of stuff, but the highlight was a 6'er of 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio.

*Upon further reflection, perhaps a bad metaphor.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ah nothing like that 1994 Vesuvio...have had it twice in recent weeks. Such a great VP!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1/2 case of the 2005 Taylor's Vargellas. I know, I said I was going to cut back buying, but just couldn't pass this one up at $33/bottle 8--)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:1/2 case of the 2005 Taylor's Vargellas. I know, I said I was going to cut back buying, but just couldn't pass this one up at $33/bottle 8--)
You have no self-control. Last year that would have looked like a good price to me but this year it looks expensive :cry:
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Derek T. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:1/2 case of the 2005 Taylor's Vargellas. I know, I said I was going to cut back buying, but just couldn't pass this one up at $33/bottle 8--)
You have no self-control. Last year that would have looked like a good price to me but this year it looks expensive :cry:
It still looks like a great price here in the US. I found one place that had it for $30, but when I went to buy a month later they had sold out. I've been tempted to pick some up at $33.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
It still looks like a great price here in the US. I found one place that had it for $30, but when I went to buy a month later they had sold out. I've been tempted to pick some up at $33.
The shelf price in supermarkets/wine merchants here would be £22 (+/-£1) for any Vargellas vintage that could be considered current release. Interestingly, we rarely see SQVPs here until they reach 10 years old.

As a comparison to the $33 per bottle you guys are paying, my last two purchases of Vargellas in case quantities from wine merchants were £100 for 6 x 1996 and £110 for 6 x 1987. :twisted:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ah but wait till you've seen what I've bought from your fellow UK merchants this past year :mrgreen:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I bought a three pack of the 1952 Dalva as it is quickly disappearing from 750 and soon, all that remains will be some 375s with the same price as the 750s. So I strongly suggest when you are in close proximity, buy a few bottles as this will be gone soon, only to be replaced by a new Dalva White Colheita from a younger but good vintage. Rumor has it that it is not up to the '52 quality but still very enjoyable. I hope to try it next week.

Also had to grab more 30 year old S. Leonardo 30 year old Tawny Port too.

All remaining slots are for Madeira!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

I picked up another bottle of Dow's 30 yesterday for $60. Great price, I think! 8--)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jonathan S wrote:I picked up another bottle of Dow's 30 yesterday for $60. Great price, I think! 8--)
A very good price for any 30 year old