1977 Dow’s Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

1977 Dow’s Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

1977 Dow’s Vintage Port
The had great depth of color still and was showing no signs of age. However, one smell told me all there was, corked! N/R
01/31/09
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jonathan S

Re: 1977 Dow’s Vintage Port

Post by Jonathan S »

Oh, no! I hate to hear that it was corked... :shock:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

That sucks. I bet you were looking forward to that bottle.

My buddy opened a '77 Dow a week or so ago and it was corked too :shock:

The Dow '77 seems to run the whole spectrum from sublime to down the drain.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The Dow is quickly becoming the "83 Cockburn" of the '77 vintage. I've had and have recently heard of a lot of corked bottles of this. A true shame, as with the Cockburn, when the bottle shows perfectly it's a great VP.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:The Dow is quickly becoming the "83 Cockburn" of the '77 vintage. I've had and have recently heard of a lot of corked bottles of this. A true shame, as with the Cockburn, when the bottle shows perfectly it's a great VP.
:stupid:

Do you think the corks are to blame?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:The Dow is quickly becoming the "83 Cockburn" of the '77 vintage. I've had and have recently heard of a lot of corked bottles of this. A true shame, as with the Cockburn, when the bottle shows perfectly it's a great VP.
:stupid:

Do you think the corks are to blame?
No, I figure it's the alignment of the moons and stars in relation to the angle of offset the bottle was at when filled on the bottling line. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:No, I figure it's the alignment of the moons and stars in relation to the angle of offset the bottle was at when filled on the bottling line. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Ah yes, but of course. :salute:
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

You know, I was really close to buying a bottle of this yesterday, but, after reading this information, I am going to pass... It's just too big of a risk. What a shame, too, for I often read (and hear) wonderful things about the Dow's 77!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jonathan S wrote: You know, I was really close to buying a bottle of this yesterday, but, after reading this information, I am going to pass... It's just too big of a risk. What a shame, too, for I often read (and hear) wonderful things about the Dow's 77!
It's not as risky as Cockburn '83, if that helps. I've had this port maybe a dozen times and 2-3 bottles have been off, 1-2 showed just OK, the rest have been splendid... Hope that helps clarify things some?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

No it's not as bad as the '83 Cockburn's....but I do keep hearing about more and more corked bottles of this. I recently bought my last batch of them, only because it was a great price, and I have no plans on buying any more. The risk vs. price is generally to great IMO.
Paul David

Post by Paul David »

Sorry to hear Andy. 2 bad ones this past year for me. One when Eric visited us last Summer. This is now officially black listed with me.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Paul David wrote:Sorry to hear Andy. 2 bad ones this past year for me. One when Eric visited us last Summer. This is now officially black listed with me.
Has anyone tried Dow '77 in a magnum recently? Were magnums hand poured and corked back then?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I've only had the 1977 Dow twice, and according to others both bottles were off. I have to say "according to others" because I didn't even notice that the first bottle was corked (and neither did anyone else until the next day), and the second came late enough in a tasting that my palate had already been overwhelmed but I have been assured that it was off also.

Not a great track record, but then again I liked both bottles the day I tasted them and had to be told later that they were off.
Glenn Elliott
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Glenn E. wrote:Not a great track record, but then again I liked both bottles the day I tasted them and had to be told later that they were off.
Just imagine how much you will enjoy the 1977 Dow's when it is "on." :mrgreen: