WTB: wine fridge

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

WTB: wine fridge

Post by Glenn E. »

I've run out of storage space in my 2 current wine fridges, so I need to acquire another one. Before I start shopping for a brand new one, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has one they'd like to sell. So... if you're looking to sell a wine fridge - or know of someone who is - please let me know. I'd prefer something with a capacity of at least 150 bottles since at this point I'm already 60 bottles over my current capacity. :oops:
Glenn Elliott
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Re: WTB: wine fridge

Post by Alex R »

Glenn, check your local area craigslist. :wink:
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Glenn,

Good luck with your acquisition. Perhaps you would be heartened to know that I have run out of space, too! :wink:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I checked Craigslist and didn't see anything I was interested in. Most of the listings were either much too small for me (in the 6- to 20-bottle range) or, in the case of the one unit that was big enough, non-functioning and in need of repairs.

Jonathan - when friends ask about wine fridges these days, the very first thing I tell them is to triple the size their looking at. Think you're only going to need a 40-50 bottle fridge? Hahaha! That'll last maybe 6 months. From where I am now, the 500-bottle unit my wife and I saw at Costco doesn't look nearly as ridiculous as it did at the time! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn, quit kidding yourself. You know you want to convert the study into a walk-in :twisted:
That's my plan. My 56 bottle rack is full, so I've taken to using the shipping boxes, carefully placed and turned on edge to keep the bottles horizontal. I'm trying to clean out my basement to at least partially finish it and install a walk-in. In my case it will be two stage, one side for beer kegs at serving temperature, one side for wine. :D
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:Glenn, quit kidding yourself. You know you want to convert the study into a walk-in :twisted:
I do, I do! But I think that would end up being considerably more expensive than I originally thought, so I've discarded that idea for now. Instead, I simply plan to fill the study with 100-200 bottle wine fridges! :lol:

See... I figure that if you have multiple large fridges and none of them are completely full, that gives you a little bit of insurance in case one of the fridges fails. All you have to do is move the failed fridge's bottles into the other fridges while you replace the broken one! :evil:

I know... it's hopeless...
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

One word of advice. Be caerfully where you place large units. They are very heavy so make sure the flooring, if not on concrete, can support the load of all that wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

An excellent point! I'll have to check the flooring under the study and perhaps place the units in opposite corners of the room or something.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

More to Andy's point than meets the eye ...

One of the absolute worst things for wine beyond temperature, humidity and light ... is vibration and depending on the unit and where it is placed, vibration could become a serious issue if not set on the right type of flooring.

Should anyone ever have interest, the best book is HOW AND WHY TO BUILD A WINE CELLAR by Richard Gold, PhD
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com