Question about storage

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

Question about storage

Post by Eric Ifune »

The standard thinking for the storage of Madeira is upright; cork deterioration is a problem with horizontal storage.
What about for other fortified wines aged for long periods in cask; Tawny and Colheita Ports, Oloroso Sherries, Setubal, Rutherglen Australians?
How are you storing yours?
I don't have the room in my cellar for upright storage at the moment, but am refurbishing it to try to make room.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Question about storage

Post by Roy Hersh »

I'll let others get to the core of your question Eric. I do think that it is important whether the cork used is a T-stopper like some found on LBVs and Tawnies with an indication of age OR a true driven cork. This has a lot to do with the way a Port or any sticky (dessert) wine should be aged in the cellar.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Hi Eric,

In my opinion, the tawnies, which are ready for drinking when bottled, can be stored upright. There is no major problem if the cork is not humid, as they were submitted to a oxidation process while in cask.

Regarding the rubies, if they have a T-cap, as some LBV use to have, it is better to store upright to avoid leaking from the cork. But if the cork is a real good one, then it is much better lie down. Thus, the cork will be in contact with the wine, not drying and avoiding a fast oxidation.

This for Ports!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I have Garrafeiras from the 50's with T corks that were fine and store on their side. The capsule covering it, one would not know it was a T cork unless they already knew from previous bottles.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I have Garrafeiras from the 50's with T corks that were fine and store on their side. The capsule covering it, one would not know it was a T cork unless they already knew from previous bottles
Yes, sometimes it is difficult to know.