Any experience with www.wineconsigners.com?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Elyas Beria

Any experience with www.wineconsigners.com?

Post by Elyas Beria »

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted anything but I will be breaking open some nice ports soon and will have tasting notes to share. I was wondering if anyone has bought port from Beverly Hills based www.wineconsigners.com? Are they legit?

-Elyas Beria
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Any experience with www.wineconsigners.com?

Post by Andy Velebil »

hi Elyas,

I've used them once and had very good prompt service (even them emailing me pics of the bottles) except they charge an arm and a leg for shipping. And you can't pick up from them, they have to ship due to the type of license they have. So unless it's a bigger order, it may not be worth it once shipping is factored in. Be sure to get a full quote from them ahead of time, which they do no problems.

Be sure to post the Tasting Notes when you open your bottles.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Elyas Beria

Post by Elyas Beria »

Great, thanks for the info Andy. I think I may order 6 bottles, a '63 and then maybe some 77s, and some others. I'm worried about the shipping of an old bottle like that so I may opt for the rather hefty $120 for overnight shipping, but averaged over 6 bottles it's still a better price than I can get for the same wines here in NYC.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

If they will hold until better shipping weather, I would wait. It's in the mid-90's here and evenings, although cooling off, are still too hot to ship IMO. The shipper will be picking these up at the peak of heat during the day and they will most likely be in an un-airconditioned truck for a number of hours before being sent overnight by air.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Elyas Beria

Post by Elyas Beria »

I hear you. Unfortunately I need these for a little port dinner on the 25th so at least they will get drunk pretty much right away. I am concerned about the shipping though. I'll have to weigh the benefit vs. the risk and decide to just pay more and buy here in NYC or order it and risk having the port cooked. Hmmmm...what to do...
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Elyas,

Hmm... If I were in this situation, I think I would err on the side of caution, and perhaps purchase four bottles in NYC (instead of 6 from CA) and tell everyone to sip them VERY slowly. :D Good luck with your decision!
Elyas Beria

Post by Elyas Beria »

I think I'll buy here in NYC but only because I got a great deal on Warres, I think I'll do a vertical and will definitely post tasting notes. Although I'm not fully convinced that shipping it is all that terrible. I asked my buddy Vladimir Garcia of Chelsea Wine Vault here in NYC what he thought and he didn't think it was a concern, especially if it will be shipped overnight. And if you think about it historically, Port was designed to travel and had to endure much harsher travel for weeks or months on hot ships, albeit probably in large barrels. That being said I was a little concerned especially about the 1963 I was planning on getting and now, for the time being at least, I don't have to worry about it. Thanks for the input!
Jonathan S

Post by Jonathan S »

Elyas,

Have fun! I look forward to reading your tasting notes. :)