Choose a Bottle, Any Bottle...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Choose a Bottle, Any Bottle...

Post by Al B. »

In my slow but steady progress in catching up with old posts, I came across one in which we wrote about the bottle we would like to try - but not a "holy grail" port. So I thought it about time to ask the holy grail question in its own right.

If you could choose to taste any port ever made, which port would you choose - but say why (and Quinta do Noval Nacional 1931 is absolutely allowed as a choice provided you say why this would be your choice).
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Choose a Bottle, Any Bottle...

Post by Glenn E. »

Tough call, so I'll choose 2!

VP: 1931 Noval, because everything I've read says it's the best Port ever made. NOT the Nacional, though that one is also supposed to be spectacular. Having had the 1947 Noval at the 2009 Gala, all I can say is that if the 1931 is even better then it would have to be 100 points. I really enjoyed the 1947.

Colheita: 1937 Niepoort for the same reason. It sort of sounds like just about any Colheita from 1937 should be pretty stellar, but the Niepoort seems to get a lot of mention as the one of the best if not the best.

Grails are hard for me to pick because I've already had one and didn't even know it. The 1906 Brunheda Colheita that Roy shared with me was simply amazing, and I find it hard to believe that any other Port could ever live up to that experience.
Glenn Elliott
Edward Nemergut
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Edward Nemergut »

My list:

1) 1948 Taylor
2) 1948 Fonseca
3) 1931 Noval
4) 1927 Fonseca

I know should only have 1 "Holy Grail" but I'd have a hard time picking less than these four.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Wow, that is a tough one…

Going with the 1931 Noval. Everyone talks about it, so I don’t want to miss out… I was pretty close to trying it last summer and actually was the one to quell our half-drunk idea to open it. I am confident I will have a bottle in due time.

Other notables would include:

1977 Taylor Double Magnum – just looks too cool.
1927 Fonseca – not many have had
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

I will stick to the guidelines and just pick one.

1945 Fonseca vintage.

The 1937 Quinta do Noval colheita would have been the pick, but I have a bottle of that to open in August when I move into my new house.

-- Gary
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1922 Warre because I've never had it and have heard pretty remarkable things about this particular Port. Who knows if it would live up to the hype.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Easy - 1931 Noval for me!
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Dow 1878: said by Saintsbury to be the best of its century.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Quinta do Vesuvio 1815: Because it is the only bottle of Waterloo Vintage that is not in VNG that I know the location of :wink:
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

1945 Croft. Because it is supposed to be incredible. And because I've been close to buying a bottle twice, but both times didn't work out.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It's been nearly 3 years since we last used this thread, and Roy's recent Question for the Port Trade got me thinking that some of us might have achieved what used to be our "Holy Grail" wish and have now different desires for that elusive and rare bottle of port that we would like to try.

Mine is simple and time related. I was born in 1963 and have tasted or will taste many ports from that vintage. The one port that eludes me, which I cannot find a well provenanced bottle of, is the Smith Woodhouse '63 - I would love to try that one day and still hope to do so.

So what's the one bottle that you are hopinng to try one day?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Al B. wrote:So what's the one bottle that you are hopinng to try one day?
Sandeman 1790.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote:So what's the one bottle that you are hopinng to try one day?
For reasons similar to your own, I would like to try a 1964 Niepoort Garrafeira. Even Dirk tends to forget that they made it, so they're really hard to find!

I've now had one of the two I listed before - the 1937 Niepoort Colheita... with Dirk Niepoort, no less! It was great, but since making my original post in this thread I've learned that the 1934 and 1935 are both probably superior to the 1937.

I have a trio that I'd add to the list, but I suspect I'm going to get to try those in 2014 on one of Roy's tours. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although Tom was VERY generous in opening up a 1927 Fonseca a few years ago knowing it was my holy grail at the time, while some of us Yanks were visiting England after the harvest. I would love to try another bottle. I had the feeling that the one we tried was not showing up to its full potential and one day, I do hope to experience a near perfect bottle of that particular Vintage Port.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Moses Botbol wrote:Wow, that is a tough one…

Going with the 1931 Noval. Everyone talks about it, so I don’t want to miss out… I was pretty close to trying it last summer and actually was the one to quell our half-drunk idea to open it. I am confident I will have a bottle in due time.

Other notables would include:

1977 Taylor Double Magnum – just looks too cool.
1927 Fonseca – not many have had
1931 Noval - Check! Best port I have ever had or at least top 5.
1977 Taylor Double Magnum - Check! Killed in one night, took cab home.
1927 Fonseca - Still waiting to try.... [beg.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

From the Wine Society Catalogue, March 1933:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I love older white Ports and one day I hope to try this....1917 Niepoort White Colheita
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com