Opening something for the week-end?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

Opening something for the week-end?

Post by Frederick Blais »

I have a tradition on another wine forum that someone starts this thread every week to know what each other drank. This is the place to talk about your wines that you don't want to write too detailed tasting notes. Beacause you don't like to or you just did not take any detailed notes.

Unfortunately I will not drink any port during the week end, did you?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well, I didn't open it, but I was out for dinner in Pasadena with some friends and saw the bar had a 20 year old Dows Tawny, so I thought, what the heck since I've never had it. It was very nice. Not very dark in color, with a little alcohol, and a fairly long finish. I would definitily buy a bottle or two soon for an everyday type tawny.

BTW, They did have a 1970 Dows VP, but since it was already opened (and for who knows how long) I decided to stay away from it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

This past week:
01 Niepoort Secundum VP
Graham's 10yr Tawny bottled 2004
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Hi mwaters! How was the secundum?
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
mwaters

Post by mwaters »

HI RR, great to see you and SC here on Roy's forum.

I have tasted half the bottle and have the 2nd half vac sealed. I'll post a TN when the bottle is finished. here's a teaser:

Purple/Black color, very dark! Lots of blackberry on the nose with some black licorice and the licorice comes though on the finish as well. Silky mouthfeel with moderate tannin.

The style reminds me of the 2000 Sandeman Vau which I believe is also made in the earlier to drink style. Based on memory I prefer the 01 Secundum over the 00 Vau. I may pick up a 375 of the Fonseca G 01 ($44cdn) and compare the two side by side.

Excellent VP and great value at $58cdn.
michael miller

Post by michael miller »

No port last weekend, this weekend going to a resort in New Hampshire that only has Taylor 10 year old tawny. I guess I'll survive.
Michael Miller
Harris Ueng

Post by Harris Ueng »

Fred, nice one on opening the thread!

On an LBV craving, I opened a 1998 Niepoort Unfiltered LBV. I thought it had a very pleasant balance of sweetness and structure with a decently long finish. Fruity... blackberries on nose and a bit of spice on the palette -- a hint of spirit. Sorry to use such a generic word, but when I think of this LBV, I just think "pleasant". I really enjoyed this one.
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I enjoyed a Qta. d. Passadouro NV Ruby, 1995 LBV, and 2000 VP at Qta. d. Passadouro last weekend... 8)
simon Lisle

port for the weekend

Post by simon Lisle »

i'm off on vacation to the house near bordeaux while i'm there i'll be dipping into the cellar i've ear marked for over the fortnight a bottle of de la force 66,grahams 75,taylors 80,royal oporto 80,robertsons 82,and a presidential 41 colheita bottled 78 it will only be my second presidential bottle of port after the vp82 which on reflection was probably the poorest vp i can remember.my last vp i drank was a real companhia velha 39 and i did'nt expect much from it but how surprised i was a real gem.thanks Simon
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sunday will be a magnificient night for me and we will close it with two 85 VP: Warre's and Offley. The guy organizing the night wanted to bring the warre's but after some discussion about the quality of this VP it endend being a match up between his Warre's and my Offley. From what I've tasted so far, Offley did a great VP this year and Warre's is showing a lot of volatil acidity. I propably write TN on tuesday if I can still remember what it taste after having some Pétrus and Romanée conti which are first time for me.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company