1983 Fonseca Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

1983 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by Ted D »

I think the 80 is the worst Fonseca ever! I like the 83 and think you had an off bottle.

I've had three bottles in the past couple of years. Consistently rated 90-92 points. Here is my first (and only extensive) TN

Ted

Fonseca 83 10 may 2004

Purchased recently from Premier Cru, and allowed to rest for about 10 days after delivery.
Decanted 8+ hours
Fonseca 83 - 90 points, in a phrase, "barely outstanding"

Nose - toffee and carmel, with a dark spicy component that includes cinnamon nuances, perhaps with nutmeg and mace.

On the palate this doesn't seem to have that characteristic big "Fleshy" Fonseca feel to me like many Fonsecas do. It very round and long, with plenty of red fruits that build for 20 seconds or so. With more air, about 11 hours, more of that Fonseca fleshiness arose. Some dark molasses in the aftertaste on the edges of the tongue. Visions of sleeping in clean sheets alone - i.e. perfect relaxation.

NONE of that alcoholic taste/feel that some others have reported.

This will never be mindblowing, but to my tastes is a good solid Port with a good short term life (10-20 years depending on your preferences) ahead of it, as evidenced by its evolution between 9 to 11 hours of air. In other words, should be fully mature before I'm fully Bald. But I could be wrong, hairloss is so difficult to judge!

This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.
Any Port in a Storm