help me choose from this list of VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul_B

help me choose from this list of VP

Post by Paul_B »

Hi all,

I have a dinner party coming up and although no one but myself is really into port I have the following potential bottles to open so please help chose... and if you could suggest a decanting time as well.

Dow 91
Gould Campell 97
Quarles Harris 97
Vesuvio 01

thanks
Paul
Frederick Blais

Re: help me choose from this list of VP

Post by Frederick Blais »

I'd go for Dow's as it is the most mature Port for today. I'd decant the wine 3-6 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The Quarles Harris would also be nice, but I would only choose that one if you're serving large hunks of succulent red meat. :yumyum: Otherwise, I agree with Frederick.

Decant time for the QH... hmm... I'd probably go with 4-6 hours. Really something that young probably needs 20, but that's a bit risky if you're not familiar with the Port and its performance over time (which I am not).
Glenn Elliott
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Glenn E. wrote:The Quarles Harris would also be nice, but I would only choose that one if you're serving large hunks of succulent red meat. :yumyum:
Actually red....snappers... two beauties slowly baked in the oven with small potatoes, onions, etc...

oh some douro red... haven't decided yet which one...unless I fine some white in the cellar but I doubt it.

Traditional portuguese chocolate mousse (76%-80% dark) for desert...
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Paul_B wrote:Actually red....snappers... two beauties slowly baked in the oven with small potatoes, onions, etc...
Personally, I wouldn't serve a VP with a white fish. White fish calls for an aged white Port to me, or if you don't have access to one then try a good 20-yr old like the Ramos Pinto or Ferreira Duque de Braganca.
Paul_B wrote:Traditional portuguese chocolate mousse (76%-80% dark) for desert...
Now you're talking! I break with tradition here, though, because to me an aged tawny (a 40-yr old in particular) goes better with chocolate than a Vintage Port. However, the Dow should work nicely for a traditional pairing.
Glenn Elliott
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Sorry Glenn,

the VP is not to go with the main dish...my mistake for implying that.

/Paul
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I agree with Frederick's selection of the Dow. Also, I agree with Glenn that dark chocolate and Vintage Port don't go well as a food and Port pairing. I know some like it, but it never does the VP any justice and can make it seem bitter.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

The Dow without question followed by the Gould Campbell.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars