California "port" tasting in Napa Jan or Feb

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Shawn Denkler

California "port" tasting in Napa Jan or Feb

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I have probably 50+ California ports from the sixties on. I would like to do a big two or three day weekend tasting and survey what California has done. I would like to do it next year. The first three weeks of January are good, or the second two weeks of February. The weekend is flexible, just depends on when the most people can come.

I have enough port that we probably don't need much more, although I know some people can never get enough. I would rather not have anything from this century, and very little from the 90's. I was thinking people could contribute toward buying a set of older port from Ficklin Vineyards. They still have 1957 available - anybody know how good it is?

Let me know if you are interested and what dates you could come.

Please - no remarks on port being from Portugal - we know that here in the forum. Sadly Portugal did not protect its name. Fortunately new law prevents people from using the word port on a label. Unfortunately older port brands are grandfathered in, so Gallo port will be around forever to sully the name port.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: California "port" tasting in Napa Jan or Feb

Post by Andy Velebil »

Shawn,
Port is from.... :wink: :lol: :lol: i don't know my work schedule yet, but if I can make this I will. It would be quite fun to see how some of these older Cali ports have held up over the years. please keep us update on the details of this offline.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Shawn,

I'm interested also, but since I live in Seattle I'll have to wait for final dates, etc, before I can commit. I think it will be fun to get a broader view of what the US has to offer!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm going to miss this since I'll be out of the country. [beg.gif]
Damn!
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Depending on the dates, I'd be very interested in attending.

Marc
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am a definite "maybe" depending on dates and how soon they're put forth.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Sounds very interesting - I would make the trip.
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

I am setting the date as the last weekend in February. I will not have too many more details until about Jan 23rd as I have been out of the country and will be until 1/18. I can check the forum for questions and comments.

I may be able to provide places to stay with local wineries for most people since not too many people have expressed interest in coming.

Napa area restaurants charge too much for a private room on a weekend, so I want to do the tastings at a small local winery with cheese, them we can go out to one of many fine restaurants for food.

The tastings will be afternoon and evening. I will provide a complete inventory later when I am back home. I have most of the early Quady, JW Morris, Beringer, and Napa Valley Port Cellars bottlings. I have a range of older Ficklins including some vintages. I only have a few vintages of St. Amant, Shenandoah Vineyards, Pragers. Also have many miscellaneous bottling from people that people that did not specialize in port.
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars