1999 Jose Maria Da Fonseca & Van Zeller LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Frederick Blais

1999 Jose Maria Da Fonseca & Van Zeller LBV Port

Post by Frederick Blais »

Jose Maria Da Fonseca is mostly known for the projects he has made in the Setubal and Barraida region near Lisbon. His Moscatel do Setubal is one of the best white fortified wine of Portugal. You have to try this.

Recently, they have bought vineyards in the Douro and were helped by the brillant and renown Christiano Van Zeller. They have produced some red wines and Ports. I think that the 1999 LBV was the first Port released.

Dark ruby, almost opaque, small rim shows little signs of evolution. The nose is beautifully open on notes of licorice, dark cherries, fresh mint leaf and dark chocolate. Could have more amplitude but very satisfying for a LBV. With time it was getting very nice floral notes. Mouth is showing a very young port, full of velvety dark fruits, tannins are not agressive but shows nice grain , they are sweet and chocolaty and nicely supported with sweet dark cherries. Acidity balances all its component. The finish is on the dark fruits with chocolate tannins showing again. Little alcohol but nothing disturbing there. Solid 16/20 Possibility to get better if it can develop more complexity.

So far I've loved almost every LBV from the 1999 Vintage. Again another good success.

Unfortunately, 2005 will be the last vintage for the Jose Maria Da Fonseca & Van Zeller association. Jose Maria Da Fonseca will continue to procuce its products with its brand, Van Zeller will no longer have its name on the bottles.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fred,

Do you know whether the LBV was bottled filtered or unfiltered?
Will it improve with bottle age?

Thanks,

Alex
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

It is an unfiltered LBV. It was my only bottle but I'd bet tempted to leave it another 2-3 years in the bottle and then verify how it has evolved.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company