Christies Madeira Auction Results

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Christies Madeira Auction Results

Post by Al B. »

It was interesting seeing the prices being bid for the lots of madeira up for auction yesterday.

The highest price paid was £670 for a bottle of Borges 1846 Terrantez. The lowest price was £60 for a 1910 Barbeito Sercial.

There was a distinct difference in prices paid for vintage wines compared to solera wines. The average price paid for a solera wine was £150 per bottle and for vintage wines was £220 a bottle. Real price competition was seen for the pre-phylloxera vintages, which averaged £340 per bottle. Post-phylloxera vintage wines from the 19th century averaged £200 per bottle.

The best bargain was probably the bottle of 1872 Rainwater from Justino Henriques which went for £110 - and was one of the few bottles that sold at low estimate.

It amazes me that although £670 is a lot of money to spend on a single bottle of wine, that when you consider that there are bottles of 1870 Lafite being broked on the market for £6,000+ per bottle then these wines represent an amazing value for money.

If anyone wants any additional details then post a reply here and let me know what you would like to know.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

I'd love all the details you can provide, preferably by email. Thanks!

Don't forget that it is not unusual for a Bordeaux producer like Latour to produce 10-13,000 cases of wine in a single vintage. Compare that to Madeira and you have to wonder why the prices are not the other way around. :D
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

If you're after the results of the sale, Christies actually post these on their website. The auction was number 7311, the web address for the auction results is http://www.christies.com/auction/result ... no=CKS7311.

Unfortunately Christies have taken the on-line version of the catalogue down but I can fax it through to you if you can PM or email your fax number.

Alex