2003 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric LeVine
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

2003 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Eric LeVine »

[*]2003 Quinta do Noval Porto - Portugal, Douro, Porto
Well here we go, the high point of the tasting, wow!!! Frankly I was being conservative with my points, but what a serious wine! The nose shows alluring notes of spicecake, some stalky/vegetal elements (in a good way), ayee, this is a freaking chameleon with a new smell every time I visit it. Eventually some awesome, Rhone-like notes of tar and roasted meat come forth, so intriguing on the nose. The palate shows huge glycerin and richness with some of the sneakiest and most impressive tannins I have ever felt. Wow, about a minute after a sip this would just grab hold of your teeth yet with a silkiness that was not overly drying yet rather fine and silky. Damn, this is utterly seamless with almost Cab-like notes of cassis in the middle. This succeeds at being both blockbuster big AND impeccably balanced and finessed, stunning! (NOTE: Subsquently I leaped at the first offer (from Garagiste) that crossed my inbox, a wine for the ages!) (96 pts.)[/*:m]

This tasting note is one of several related tasting notes. Click [here] to see the original note in context.
-Eric LeVine It rhymes with wine... http://www.cellartracker.com