Port Classification

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Dave Johnson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Port Classification

Post by Dave Johnson »

If a Port classification was established, which houses would be the First Growth(s), the Second's, etc.
Just for fun of course........
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Quite a lot of writers have already sought to do this - try reading Mayson's Book "Port and the Douro"

There is a long standing official classification of the quintas (vineyards, not shippers) already in place.

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If you look back in the Newsletter archives on this site, I put together a classification (tiers) of 30 Port producers. It was controversial over in Portugal, but I spent lots of time in putting together the rankings before publically releasing that information. There was a thread about it here on the FORUM too, after that article broke.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

Thanks Roy. I located the archived newsletter (the May 2005 issue for others like me new to this site) and found your ranking very interesting. I would be tempted to elevate DOW to a low First based on their outstanding '77 alone!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I wouldn't do that without looking at the fabulous 1963, even better 1966 and the awe inspiring 1970, not to mention the best of show from 1980. 1994 is also great. But my rankings were based on the overall quality of an entire century for the old shippers like Dow. I've had most and only the 1924, 1927 and 1945 really rocked my world. It takes more than 3 vintages in 50 years to get to the first tier. Your mileage may vary. The Managing Director of the Symingtons gave me a heck of a "scolding" half tongue in cheek right after my rankings were published, as I saw him less than two weeks later. Quite funny in retrospect.

So are you THE Dave Johnson from SWS, Long Linn and '85 Fonseca fame? I am hoping that is the case, but want to make sure.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Dave Johnson

Post by Dave Johnson »

No, Roy. A very common name!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well I guess you are not the same Dave Johnson! Did you happen to play in the Baltimore Orioles infield and manage the Mets?
David G.

Silval

Post by David G. »

Roy,

You listed Quinta do Noval Nacional #1 and Quinta do Noval #7. Where would you rank Quinta do Noval Silval? Just curious....

David
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

David,

I would not have the Silval in the top 30 at all. Quinta do Noval's Silval has only been around for a very few vintages at best and therefore, really can not be "judged" yet. Some of the other new entrants have at least a decade under their belts (Quinta do Portal and Quinta do Vesuvio to name just two).

By the way, there is a Quinta do Silval too, but that is another story. It his not involved with Noval, which just uses the grapes from the Silval vineyard.
David G.

Silval in the TN's

Post by David G. »

The oldest Quinta do Noval Silval I see is 1995, which was not a major vintage year at all. Still the 1997, 2000 and 2003 QdN Silval tasting notes have been quite positive.

I have a question, or perhaps a comment. In one of the tasting notes, it was at first unclear whether you were reviewing the Silval or the QdN since elsewhere where you reviewed it, you listed Silval in the title.

Thanks again for the tasting notes!

*Quinta do Noval 2000 Vintage Port * : Very dark purplish-ruby. Floral
notes with spice and violets that dominate the bouquet. A genteel
easy-to-drink VP which was tread in lagar at Noval. A fine concentration
of flavors fill the mouth with juicy, dense, ripe elderberry and plum
that puts it's best fruit forward and therefore is accessible now. The
rounded tannins have mellowed since infancy, when the grip was more
prevalent. The finish has gained in both length and complexity. Although
I rated this Silval 90-92 points (5/02) while still a cask sample, today
it deserves 93+ pts., as it shows even more upside potential. At US
$34-$45 this is one heck of a bargain in today's marketplace, where 375s
from the same vintage, have the same price tag. *93*