Alentejo wine tasting

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Brian C.

Alentejo wine tasting

Post by Brian C. »

A shop near us had a wine tasting featuring Alentejo wines from Esporao, a producer that claims to have existed since the 13th Century. Without further ado, here was the lineup:

2006 Esporao Reserva Bruto: This was a sparkling white made from the Verdejo grape using the methode champenoise. We will open a bottle of this when we move into our new home next month.

2008 Esporao Verdelho: I really liked this one, also. Very easy to drink.

2007 Esporao White Reserva: Featured a blend that included Antao Vaz, Arinto, and Roupeiro. I liked it, but damned if I can remember what it tasted like.

2008 Esporao Monte Velho Red: Had a blend of Aragonez/Tempranillo, Trincadeira, and Castelao. Pretty easy to drink this one. Not as dry as other reds I've tried from the region.

2006 Esporao Red Reserva: This one tasted like what I'd expect. Blend was Aragones, Trincadeira, Cab Sauv, and Alicante Bouschet. One year in French and American oak followed by a year in the bottle prior to release. This is the one that probably will get the most critical acclaim of the bunch. It had a lot of layers to it, and each sip had something different to offer, it seemed.

It was a pretty good crowd at the store yesterday. People were all really interested, and getting into what was being poured, enjoying the newness of the experience. The more I see events like this, the more I believe that Portuguese table wines are going to be the next big thing.

Last night we went to a restaurant and I had a carafe of yet another Alentejo offering. It was from Dona Maria. I was told that it featured Touriga Nacional and Alfrocheiro (and that seemed suspicous because it sounded like it would have been the blend in the Dao wine they used to carry, and because I didn't think that Touriga Nacional was front and center in Alentejo, though anything is possible in Alentejo). Looking at the lineup on the producer's website, I didn't find anything that had that combo: http://www.donamaria.pt/en/vinho_template.html I didn't get a chance to talk at length with anyone at the restaurant. My feeling is that it is still an elusive region for people in the industry, in Chicago anyway. Most people feel more comfortable talking about France or California. I will say that I enjoyed the wine, that it went great with the cheese plate we ordered, though not quite as well with the chicken dish. It had a fruity taste to it, and was not like the typical Alentejo. I have no idea which wine I tried from the lineup shown at the website. It was not one of the expensive ones, though.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Alentejo wine tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

Brian,
Thanks for the notes. One of my goals is to start trying more wines from other regions of Portugal, but it's hard to find anything but the super inexpensive, lower quality, ones at stores near me. Heck, I'd at least settle for middle of the road wines if I could find them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brian C.

Re: Alentejo wine tasting

Post by Brian C. »

Andy,

The sparkling white was about $30. The Monte Velho red was about $14 iirc. I have seen Esporao in another store by me, also. Hopefully they are making a push in the US market and they'll be showing up by you soon enough.