1987 Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Derek T.

1987 Quinta do Noval Nacional Vintage Port

Post by Derek T. »

As a bit of a celebration earlier this week I decided to open my first ever bottle of Quinta do Noval Nacional. I chose the 1987 based on Roy's notes (and score) on this site and also because at a mere £115 it is one of the least expensive in my modest NN collection of 6 bottles.

After reading Roy's notes and looking at what I paid for each of the NN vintages I have I figured that if there was such a thing as a QPR Noval Nacional then the 1987 should be it.

I will start this process by admitting here and now that I am way out of my depth. I accepted from the outset that I probably would not appreciate the finer qualities and complexity of this port as I do not have the experience required to do so. That said, I couldn't stop myself from trying.

This bottle was purchased in March 05 from the Noval shop in Gaia. Provenance is therefore not an issue.

I had very little time to play with so I decanted straight from the cellar through a filter as set out in the Hersh Method but without the cheesecloth. On decanting there was very little smell from the wine but then it was still at around 12 degrees C. The wine was dark red but with a very slight brown tinge, not purple as I would expect with port this dark. There was very little sediment in the bottle and the wine was clear, not cloudy, which surprised me given the decanting method. I poured half the bottle into a 375ml and put it in the fridge for tomorrow. Many of you might think I should be hung for this alone :?

My first taste was after 1 hour - I have no patience or willpower :oops: - there is now a powerful but subdued fruit packed aroma. It reminded me of the dense smell I got from the 2003 VP's I tasted last year. The taste is a new experience to me - tons of fruit but nothing specific in my memory to associate it with. Velvety mouth feel with absolutely no heat. A good long finish but then bone dry, pulling the cheeks together as the tannins kicked in.

I had 3 more glasses over a 2 hour period and did not detect any significant change in aroma or taste. At this point I was slightly disappointed, even though the wine was superb and certainly among the top 3 I have tasted, the others being Fonseca 63 and 66. My disappointment was mostly at my own impatience - had I not given this wine enough respect and time in the decanter?

Day 2

I poured the 375ml back into the decanter leaving a small amount of fine sediment in the bottle. There was no brown tinge in the wine this time and the colour was a brighter darker red than on the previous evening. I got exactly the same initial smell, almost none, but enough to tell me this wine had not evolved in the fridge overnight - phew!

I managed to wait 3 hours before tasting. This time I could smell the fruit before I even got my nose over the decanter. Huge black jammy fruits in the air. The colour seemed to be improving all the time and is now very dark bright red with a dark pink rim. The mouth feel was silky smooth. The taste was of immense amounts of black fruits. Not so drying as the day before but those big tannins were still around somewhere. There is now a very small but warm and satisfying heat after 10 seconds or so in the mouth which lingered into the finish. My mouth watered from the second the smell hit my nose all the way to the end of the finish, which seemed to be measured in minutes rather than seconds.

Over the next 2 hours this wine just got bigger and better but not different. It seems to come out of itself without changing into something else, if you know what I mean?

I don't (or rather can't) give scores to wine but I definately rate this in my top 3 in terms of overall impact (smell, colour, taste, finish). As mentioned before, the other 2 are Fonseca 1963 and 66 - which are both more than 20 years older and more evolved than this is.

This wine reminds me of an adolecent boy - more muscles and potential than he knows what to do with and not yet ready to be properly tested. After I had finished it I read my Broadbent book - his recommended drinking window for this wine starts in 2012, I think he might be right :lol: - must remember to work on that patience thing.

My 1st Nacional is an experience I will not foget and has only made me want more - I will buy more 1987 when I am next in Gaia 8) and now want to open my other 5 bottles of NN :?

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek,

Fabulous post and the passion shines through!

I wonder what you would have thought at 10-12 hours in an open decanter at room temp. It would have been quite different that way, but the good news is that you did see some evolution of this infant. Congratualtions on losing your Nacional virginity. You never forget your first! :D
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

The other bottles of NN I have are 1984 (x2), 1978, 1964 and 1963. Any advice on optimum decanting times for each of these?

Thanks

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek,

Let me first advise you ... do not open that 1963 for anything less than a fantastic celebration of something VERY special in your life. It is that profound of an experience. I know you loved that Fonseca 1963 and it is great, but by comparison ... (and I am exaggerating here) ... to the '63 Nacional, the Fonseca is like a '99 LBV. Again, a bit overboard, but the difference is exponential and a great bottle of '63 Nacional that has been well cared for is one of the greatest VP experiences you may ever have.

As to the other bottles:

1964: max. of four hours
1978: six hours
1984: four to five hours

I hope this helps.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

Thanks for the advice. I have no plans to open the 1963 - perhaps the birth of a grandchild or being told I have 12 hours to live would be the only 2 incentives I can think of to do so :lol:

Will take note for my other bottles.

Thanks

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

perhaps the birth of a grandchild
That would require a Nacional '31 in this camp -

- as far as I know I have no children (despite a persistant rumour...)

Tom :?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek,

Firstly, thanks for the tasting note. I have a few bottles of the '87 and have never dared to open one yet. Now that I have had chance to read your note I think you have given me enough to see that I need to leave them alone for a good few more years yet.

Secondly, make sure your doctors are aware that you need to know when you have only 24 hours left to live, not 12. You need to have at least 12 hours to open and properly decant that Naçional '63 before starting to drink it :wink:

And if you don't manage to drink it then make sure that it is served at your wake - we'll all be there :roll:

But more seriously, thanks for opening your bottle and for writing up the note. What was the celebration?

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alex,

Good point on the decanting time for the 63 - I'll drop a note to my doctor now and tell Jo to make sure she gets a post on the board to let you all know where I am :lol: - If I'm gone by the time you arrive, make sure Jo remembers that I want my ashes but in the empty bottle and place on a top shelf in the Noval shop in Gaia 8)

I agree you should keep your 87's for a few years yet but do try to blag some off someone else if you get the chance. Great experience.

The celebration was just some good news at work - in truth, it was the first convenient excuse that came along that was enough to persuade Jo it was a good idea for me to open a £100+ bottle of wine to drink all to myself and a cold wet weekday evening :P - she did have a small taste but, unfortunately ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ), was suffering from a sore throat so didn't want any more. Shame.

On a serious note, are you a virgin? I wonder how many virgins are coming to the Vesuvio off-line? If there are a few we could all club together for an extra bottle that night?

Derek
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Derek,

Thanks for the TN. I remember Jo telling me the story of the 1963 Noval Nacional - you are one lucky guy! I have had the fortune to drink the 1963 Noval Nacional twice, the last time in the honourable presence of Roy Hersh (I was sittiing next to him!) in Miami almost 1 year ago to the day. It is one of the top 5 Ports produced in the last 100 years, IMHO. That Noval Nacional flight that day was stunning...

Cheers,
Nicos
YOLO
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Derek,
Great notes and great camaraderie in this thread.

My virgin Nacional was the 1991 tasted last year when I hosted our local Friday blind tasting group. My notes are very similar to yours. I have two bottles left of the 91, my only Nacionals.

With regard to having to drink the 63 on short notice, perhaps you should leave instructions to hook you up to life support and not unplug until the Nacional is drunk! :lol:
Richard Henderson
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Derek,

Thanks for the post! I as well have some NN in my cellar I was think of opening one in the near future and I believe that your experiences indicate that allocating proper decanting time is essential. Hummm...4 hours seems long for a 45+ year old wine, but I'll be sure to give it a taste every hour or so to see how it evolves.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Derek,

This is where I have to hang my head in shame. A (good) few years ago I went to one of the first Decanter wine weekends and attended a Quinta do Noval masterclass.

Christian Seely was presenting the wines and it was a great experience to be able to taste a number of different wines of different ages side by side with his tuition and comments.

The wines included a ruby, two LBVs (filtered and unfiltered), 5 vintages from the '66 through to the most recent vintage (which, I think was '91/2) and a single vintage of the Naçional. That is the only time I have drunk a Naçional ..... and I don't even remember which vintage it was :oops: :oops:

While I love the idea of getting together and sharing a bottle of Naçional at the Vesuvio offline, I think after having drunk my way through 13 samples of VP that I would not be able to appreciate the Naçional as best as I ought to be able to.

Perhaps I just need to jump on a plane and fly down to Oporto and do some shopping. I suppose there's always wine searcher....

Alex