2007 Niepoort Batuta Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ronald Wortel

2007 Niepoort Batuta Douro

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Tasted blind and correctly identified as Batuta after I was told to be subject of severe punishment would I not like it. No need for worry, it was beautiful.

Slightly closed on the nose, but a beautiful core of blackcurrant. Very fresh, mineral, and dark fresh fruit (currant, blackberry, blueberry and elderberry). Ripe, fierce, but very well integrated tannins and a spicy finish, with some bay leaf and dried herbs. Medium bodied. Wonderful complexity, and elegant beast. Very precise and focused. This needs time of course, but it very enjoyable to drink now as well. A great effort.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Pedro Guimaraes

Re: 2007 Niepoort Batuta Douro

Post by Pedro Guimaraes »

Ronald,

Care to compare this vintage of Batuta with the likes of 2004 and 2005?
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Difficult question, as I tasted both only once. From what I recall, the 2007 is not as big as both 2004 and 2005, and especially fresher than 05. I believe that of the 04 and 05 I liked the 04 the best, but preferred both over the 03, which I thought was a difficult wine. 2007 has a wonderful combination of freshness and elegance, which, I think, could be great for the future.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronald,
Thanks for the comparison as I was wondering the same thing. Glad to hear the 2007 is shaping up to me a nice wine.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com