Current value of James Suckling's port book

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael Hann

Current value of James Suckling's port book

Post by Michael Hann »

While searching on-line for books about port (I've read Richard Mayson's "Port and the Douro" twice since September) I came across James Suckling's "Vintage Port" published in 1990. Is this book now outdated, or can a newcomer such as myself still benefit from reading it? In a different thread, I saw that Roy mentioned he had read this book 5 or 6 times.
Last edited by Michael Hann on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moses Botbol

Re: Current value of James Suckling's port book

Post by Moses Botbol »

It's still a good read. Look for a first edition. You can send it to him and have him sign it. [cheers.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

While it's tasting notes are now outdated (it's almost 20 years old after all), the rest of the book is still full of valuable information. Some info has changed, mainly due to companies being bought and sold, but it is still a book that any Port lover should have in their library.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael Hann

Post by Michael Hann »

Moses Botbol wrote:It's still a good read. Look for a first edition. You can send it to him and have him sign it. [cheers.gif]
I've ordered a first edition from a used book seller and it is on its way. Less than $10 with the shipping, in hard cover, first edition.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Michael Hann wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:It's still a good read. Look for a first edition. You can send it to him and have him sign it. [cheers.gif]
I've ordered a first edition from a used book seller and it is on its way. Less than $10 with the shipping, in hard cover, first edition.
Bravo! :thumbsup:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Michael Hann wrote: Current value of James Suckling's port book

Guess the value is $10 on the used book market...

I wonder if Mr. Suckling ever reads this forum? I bet he does. How could he not want to read about port? Too bad he is probably bound to keep his posts within WS...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Moses,

That is exactly the case, as I had reached out to James to join us as a Guest Corner Forum host, :scholar: I thought he would make for an outstanding guest for :ftlop:.
Unfortunately, I can’t do any work for other web sites with my contract with Wine Spectator. Wish I could!
However, that doesn't mean he can't read here. :wink:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Nice to know he probably does lurk around here.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

In that case, I will reiterate: I was looking for anything that could be construed as a mistake in his Youtube port decanting video. :lol:

No actual criticism to be implied. [notworthy.gif]
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

No worries. :thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Roy Hersh wrote: That is exactly the case, as I had reached out to James to join us as a Guest Corner Forum host, :scholar: I thought he would make for an outstanding guest for :ftlop:.
Indeed he would be!
Roy Hersh wrote:
Unfortunately, I can’t do any work for other web sites with my contract with Wine Spectator. Wish I could!
That's very sad. As a compensation Mr. Suckling should do an update on his book. Furthermore a service for the next generations of portheads.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

A nudge to Roy, James might be able to make a Guest Corner appearance these days. A lot has happened since 2009...
John M.

Post by John M. »

Al B. wrote:A nudge to Roy, James might be able to make a Guest Corner appearance these days. A lot has happened since 2009...
He did in 2011. You can read it all in the Guest Forum area.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks John!

You beat me to it. Yes, it was two years after this thread was prominent (2009), but 2011, during one of the top vintages in the current millennium, James did actually show up on occasion as the guest corner host area. I've had the pleasure to taste Port with James in the past and it was fun. Anyway, his book is a classic and beyond some early British tomes on Port read in my late 20's, this was the most modern book on Port that I read in the early 1990's.

Then along came Rich Mayson's book(s) and modernity entered into play. Some day, I will go back and read Suckling again. Lots of technological changes as well as regulatory modifications, and it might be worth reading Port and the Douro beforehand, so you will learn by reverse chronology. But either way will be worth the read for sure.