And the winer is ...

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ricardo

And the winer is ...

Post by Ricardo »

Hello, this is my first post (many of you will see it as a novice post, :, and it's true), I hope that I nice found a nice and sugestive subject 8) .

So, let's to the point. I’m looking for a special Port for a very special occasion and I remember that no better that you to help me with the vintage port (I’ve select all the wines but the Port). Keep this in mind, the Vintage is to drink now and the limited founds.

After reading a bit, I found that I have some options:

1. Go for a 2003 Vintage (anyone but Noval Nacional), +very nice year, +fantastic scores, +price, -young wine.
2. Stay with a 1994 (Dow, Vesuvio are about 60€) good year too, will I profit for the wine age, or is still very young???
Go for a 1983 (Fonseca 75€) not so fantastic year, but the wine should have evolved and be more drinkable???

Simply, what should I do? What would be your choice? Other than this (can see other options in http://www.garrafeiranacional.com)?

Thanks in advance

Ricardo
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Winner, sorry about my English. :cry:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ricardo,

Just a couple of questions first. Is this for drinking soon? Or are you looking for something to hold onto for a long time. Also, where are you located (which may determine what you can get and also allow people on the board that are close to your location to help)?

Also, what are you willing to spend on a bottle?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Unless you're a tannin junkie, I'd go for something older rather than younger.

'83 wasn't Fonseca's best year - but for the others this is a great value vintage.

Tom
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

cofidis2 wrote:Ricardo,

Just a couple of questions first. Is this for drinking soon? Or are you looking for something to hold onto for a long time. Also, where are you located (which may determine what you can get and also allow people on the board that are close to your location to help)?

Also, what are you willing to spend on a bottle?

The wine is for drinking now in Lisbon were I live, and I don´t want to spend more than 75-80€.

There's another important info, the people who's going to drink the wine are no Port experts at all, rather than people that enjoy a good table wine but even here can´t be considered experts.

We are all young at age and in drinking wine, and can be considered in the (in Portugal) profile of the new consumer. When it comes to table wine I prefer a powerful, fat, eating, wood marked, sweet wine, rather than those very well made, terroir, elegant wines (I like those too), without apparent defects.

So consider a easy wine, rather than a wine for an expert. This is too the reason why it will be foolish spending more than the above, just because we will not give the proper value to the wine. At the beginning I remembered a old tawny, but it’s a very special occasion (born of a first child … it’s for days now)
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

uncle tom wrote:Unless you're a tannin junkie, I'd go for something older rather than younger.

'83 wasn't Fonseca's best year - but for the others this is a great value vintage.

Tom

I know that the 83 is not one of the best, but is the only older one I can reach (about 80€, the 1977 is more than 300€, the 1994 200€ in the same store). Please read my previous post.

Thank you all for your help.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I know that the 83 is not one of the best, but is the only older one I can reach (about 80€, the 1977 is more than 300€, the 1994 200€ in the same store). Please read my previous post.
Shop around - there are much better prices to be had.

In the Uk, Fonseca '77 retails for around £60 - less than 100 euros

Tom
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I've noticed that VP is very expensive in Portugal and prices for older vintages are often insane.
That said, Garrafeira Nacional had soom good prices on Warre's vintages. The '94 is € 45,-, and while still young, it is already very easy to appreciate.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

uncle tom wrote:
Shop around - there are much better prices to be had.

In the Uk, Fonseca '77 retails for around £60 - less than 100 euros

Tom
That's a nice price, it's a shame that in Portugal the price, even better than the one at above, ardly can compete with that one.

To buy from UK, I have to pay for shipping, anyway it could be an option. Can you easy my search and point out one or two sites Tom?

Regards. Thanks
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

RonnieRoots wrote:I've noticed that VP is very expensive in Portugal and prices for older vintages are often insane.
That said, Garrafeira Nacional had soom good prices on Warre's vintages. The '94 is € 45,-, and while still young, it is already very easy to appreciate.
Thanks, most certain to stay with a 94 Vintage. As we in Portugal say, and adapting "Considering the drinker, this should be more than enough" :lol:
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Can you easy my search and point out one or two sites
Try wine-searcher.com

Alternatively, I shall be driving to Portugal (via Spain) in a few days time - leaving here on the 13th and arriving at VNG on the 21st (leaving 23rd)

I have over 700 bottles of VP in my cellar at the moment (but no Fons '77)

- could put some bottles in the car:

e.g.

Dow '97 @ 40 euros
Vesuvio '96 @ 30 euros
Cockburn '94 @ 40 euros
Noval '85 @ 45 euros
Fonseca '83 @ 55 euros
Offley '83 @ 30 euros
Graham '75 @ 30 euros
Dalva '70 @ 25 euros
Taylor '60 @ 90 euros
Graham '45 @ 600 euros.... :P

+ many more!

Tom
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

uncle tom wrote:
I have over 700 bottles of VP in my cellar at the moment (but no Fons '77)

- could put some bottles in the car:

e.g.

Dow '97 @ 40 euros
Vesuvio '96 @ 30 euros
Cockburn '94 @ 40 euros
Noval '85 @ 45 euros
Fonseca '83 @ 55 euros
Offley '83 @ 30 euros
Graham '75 @ 30 euros
Dalva '70 @ 25 euros
Taylor '60 @ 90 euros
Graham '45 @ 600 euros.... :P

+ many more!

Tom
Four 45 Graham please, plus two of Taylor's ... :D :D . Really, you have good prices (considering the Fonseca’s 83), and if you pass through Lisbon I could ask you for some bottles (not the 45 Graham). I will try that link too. Thanks
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Not planning to go through Lisbon I'm afraid.

I'm spending the Fallas fiesta week in Valencia and will then head towards Madrid, on past Salamanca and then down the Douro valley to VNG

Tom
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

uncle tom wrote:Not planning to go through Lisbon I'm afraid.

I'm spending the Fallas fiesta week in Valencia and will then head towards Madrid, on past Salamanca and then down the Douro valley to VNG

Tom
Thanks anyway, I wish everything runs like you want to. Have a nice trip.

Regards
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ricardo,

Welcome to the FOR THE LOVE OF PORT Forum. I hope you will enjoy it here and continue to learn with us and share your passion too.

Please do go back to your profile and put in your real last name and city/state and country of residence.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading more of your postings in the future.

Sincerely, Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks Roy for the welcome, I have already proceeded with the profile update. I must apologise for my rude manners, I should have welcome all of you in my first post. Sorry, the language doesn’t helps too.

Better late then never, here are my complements to all of you, I’m honoured to participate in this forum.

Once again thanks for all the help.

PS: The wine-searcher was a very good tip Tom, thanks again :wink: .
Regards Ricardo
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Ricardo,

My personal choice from the ports that you listed would be the Quinta do Vesuvio 1994. I opened and drank a bottle a few months ago and it was wonderful.

60 euros seems a fair price for that when compared to the current UK prices.

If you do decide to choose this wine then make sure and give it plenty of time in the decanter - 10-12 hours would be my recommendation.

Alex
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

bridgema wrote:Ricardo,

My personal choice from the ports that you listed would be the Quinta do Vesuvio 1994. I opened and drank a bottle a few months ago and it was wonderful.

60 euros seems a fair price for that when compared to the current UK prices.

If you do decide to choose this wine then make sure and give it plenty of time in the decanter - 10-12 hours would be my recommendation.

Alex
The good thing about Port, and me being beginner is the amount of options I have. In the beginning I was intended to go for a 1994, Vesuvio’s or Dow’s was my doubt (they both sell for the same price, after Tom’s advice and searching a little more I ended for the Graham’s 85 in http://www.decantervinho.com for 50€.

This because I’ have tasted two weeks ago an aged Port - Taylor’s 83 – that I found beautiful.

Posting an add in a Portuguese forum, I’ have now the chance for a 77 VP between Dow’s, Warre’s and Graham’s, with preferences divided between the first (my first choice) and the last (I don’t know the prices yet).

All the preferences above are made without personal knowledge, only consulting several opinions.
Regards Ricardo
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

Ricardo - the Dow '77 is the one to go for! Trust me...it's gooooooood!
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Steven Kooij wrote:Ricardo - the Dow '77 is the one to go for! Trust me...it's gooooooood!
:lol:
Regards Ricardo