Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by Mike J. W. »

It sounds like you have things under control, Tom. That's quite an impressive plan. :thumbsup:
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Nicholas S

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by Nicholas S »

I am just getting started, but here goes:

Oldest VP: 1980 Gould Campbell - A birth year bottle
Oldest Colheita: 1999/2018 Offley - My first and only Colheita purchase thus far and it will likely be opened soon so we can try this style of port
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Nicholas S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 am I am just getting started, but here goes:

Oldest Colheita: 1999/2018 Offley - My first and only Colheita purchase thus far and it will likely be opened soon so we can try this style of port
I had my first 1980 Gould Campbell a few months back and really enjoyed it. I think it's an underrated Port. It still tastes fresh and you can find them pretty cheaply, especially for a 40 year-old Port. Enjoy! [cheers.gif]
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Nicholas S

Post by Nicholas S »

Mike J. W. wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 pm
Nicholas S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 am I am just getting started, but here goes:

I had my first 1980 Gould Campbell a few months back and really enjoyed it. I think it's an underrated Port. It still tastes fresh and you can find them pretty cheaply, especially for a 40 year-old Port. Enjoy! [cheers.gif]
Thanks Mike, I'm looking forward to pulling one in June for my 40th. I picked up several and am keeping my eyes open for other '80 VP for future birthdays.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Nicholas S wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:11 am Thanks Mike, I'm looking forward to pulling one in June for my 40th. I picked up several and am keeping my eyes open for other '80 VP for future birthdays.
Ferreira, Sandeman, Ramos Pinto, and Graham are some other 1980 vintages to keep an eye out for. I think Taylor is solid too, but been way too long since I last tried.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:31 am In the past year I opened 1937 and 1941 Kopke Colheitas, but was pleasantly surprised to see that I still have a 1937 Rocha Colheita, albeit only a 375ml. ...
Andy's new thread elsewhere reminded me of this one. That 1937 Rocha Colheita is still my oldest colheita. Maybe I'll open that over the holidays this year. I now have a 1896 Dow VP to look forward to, and a few other VPs from the 1920s. I think I'm going to hold out on some of my 1922s until they've nominally reached 100 years of age.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:03 pm
Glenn E. wrote:Mine have changed a bit. I now have a 1948 Graham VP, but my collection of 1937s are still my oldest Colheitas.
Still changing! My Grahams vertical now goes back to 1945. And while my 1937 Colheitas are technically still my oldest for this question, I have two S. Leonardo "100" Very Old Tawny Ports that are older (on average) but aren't Colheitas. I have also now added a pair of 1875 D'Oliveiras Malvasia Madeira which are my oldest wines.

I had a chance to buy a DR 1885 Colheita but didn't, and I think that was a mistake. Should have bought one. I also had a chance to buy a Krohn (err... "Taylor") 1863 Colheita, and while the price was reasonable for what it is, I just couldn't pay that much for one bottle of Port. Roughly $2500 IIRC.
My Graham's vertical hasn't changed - any further expansion older than 1945 would be very expensive, so I think it's probably as old as it's going to get.

I picked up a 1906 Brunheda Colheita on the 2019 Port Harvest Tour, so that's now my oldest Colheita. I also picked up a 1934 Dalva Colheita from an auction in CA, but plan to open that reasonably soon. It was bottled in 1972, so is more of a curiosity than an epic Tawny.

My oldest Madeira has also changed... it's now a 1834 Barbeito Malvasia. I picked up an 1864 Favila Vieira Malvasia "RR" at the same time.

And lastly, I also picked up the "new" S. Leonardo "100" blend, as well as a cask sample of a Port from Brunheda that was very old when it was last touched, and that was in the 1930s. They think it's probably at least 120 years old, but don't actually know for sure.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I have to admit, I've gotten a 1870 Ferreira Vezuvio (sic) and a 1900 Constantino Colheita.
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

1834 Krohn Porto Reserva Particular