Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by John M. »

I have no Colheitas...

Oldest VP is a 1970 Grahams (I have two)
Any Port in a storm!
Miguel Simoes

Re: Times & cellars have changed/evolved your oldest bottle of VP & Colheita are?

Post by Miguel Simoes »

I have a couple of Burmester 1955 Colheita bottles. They were bottled in 1977 and the bottles have some oxidization around the cork so am not sure what to expect...
Will be opening them for a toast at my 2nd second son's 1st birthday party in a year's time and am keeping all my fingers crossed!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John M. wrote:I have no Colheitas...
We need to fix that...
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Glenn E. wrote:
John M. wrote:I have no Colheitas...
We need to fix that...
No Kidding!!
Any Port in a storm!
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1900 Niepoort Colheita

I think my oldest VPs are 1963s - Taylor and Fonseca.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

1950 Croft VP
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

I have a magnum Warre´s 1977 VP and a Dalva Golden White 1952
Monique Heinemans.

Post by Monique Heinemans. »

1966 Kopke colheita
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I think I only have two Colheitas which were both purchased during last year's harvest tour - an 85 Dalva and a 74 Kopke. I'll likely open the Kopke later in the year to mark a milestone birthday (there aren't a lot of options when you were born in 74!).
For VPs the oldest I have are a couple of 62 Fonseca Guimaraens which probably should be opened soon
I have an older australian fortified though - a 47 Para.
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

My oldest VP is Sandeman 1945.

I don't have very old Colheita's (anymore). My oldest one so far was a 1937 White Colheita.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Miguel Simoes wrote:I have a couple of Burmester 1955 Colheita bottles.
I don't recall the bottle condition, but last I tasted one of these, it was wonderful.

My oldest colheita at the moment is a 1937 Rocha 375ml, and for VP I have a few different 1960s.

I've bought some older Rivesaltes and Banyuls recently, such that the average age of my cellar overall (17.8 years) is now older than the average age of my VP (17.6 years), which also has been affected by 2011 buying. Of course the numbers are close because my cellar is mostly VP :D
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My oldest Colheita currently is 1937 and oldest VP is 1927.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Oldest VP is a bottle from 1830 and my oldest Colheita is a 1863.
K Hart

Post by K Hart »

I have only recently started cellaring port. It was very difficult for me for a long time to get any kind of momentum going. When I was still a sous chef at a wine bistro, I had port all the time - usually at least twice a week and this gave me my "fix," thus it was minimally necessary for me to cellar anything. After I got into IT, if I wanted port, I would just go to the wine bistro and buy a bottle of colheita and have it there. I recently opened a 66 Rocha colheita that was ABSOLUTELY phenomenal. It could very well be my number one port to date, I think even edging over the 57 and 50. Still I was having all the port that I wanted and the 82, 83 and 87 kopke colheitas were all that were in my cellar. (The 82 remains the oldest - I intend to remedy that today.) It was still not immediately practical to stock up on more since the supply is always there at the wine bistro, but then I started thinking forward - and also remembering how many times I have gone to my cellar to realize that I already drank the only bottle of colheita that was in my cellar for a bit and not having access to a bottle of port at the time.

For a few weeks I had a Quinta do Noval 1970 LBV that I had for my 26th birthday in October. (Along with three bottle verticle spanning 20 years of red CDPs, a white cdp and a 2004 gaston chiquet champagne.) This bottle was pretty awesome! It was aged 6 years in barrel and had a slight tawny character about it and was a very nice accompaniment for the fuente fuente Opus X I lit up.

Currently the only bottle of vintage port that I have is a 2011 Quinta do Noval Nacional. It is hard for me to say whether I prefer colheitas or vintage ports since they are so different. I absolutely drink more colheita than I do VP and I would say is definitely more of a "go to" than VP is. I feel like VP for me at least is appropriate in specific sorts of occaisions - (or just because when one gets opened) that are less common the colheita occaisions. I wouldn't say that I prefer one over the other just that I find more reasons to drink a colheita than I do a VP.
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Ferreira Duque de Braganca 1895 [cheers.gif]
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Times are though for old Port in Québec...

My oldest VP is a Taylor's 1977 bought during the very first FTLOP buying opportunity.

Oldest Colheita is 1955 Burmester

But my oldest Port is a Niepoort Garrafeira 1952
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I just had a proper look through my cellar records. Back in October last year I hosted a group of port loving friends for a horizontal of 1963 ports to celebrate my 50th birthday. Between them they gave me a number of gifts, including 2 bottles of Burmester 1863 colheita - one of which was opened and shared! The other is the oldest bottle of colheita that I own.

I have a handful of bottles which are older than this, but they are generally unknowns and could be colheita, vintage, LBV or even Madeira!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My have times changed..I now have two bottles of 1820 Ferreira in my cellar. The oldest Port in my cellar by a mere 4 years. :shock:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Oldest port is now 1966 Graham's (a "long distance runner" according to Broadbent !).
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

New old addition, 1926 da Silva. I bought two, and one is a leaker, so it will be opened soon.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk