Do you remember your very first FULL CASE purchase of Port?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dan s
Location: groton, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Re: Do you remember your very first FULL CASE purchase of Port?

Post by dan s »

Early on in exploring wine, my wife decided she liked port. I hadn't developed a taste for it yet. Kind of funny now that I think of it. She took quite a while to "get" Burgundy while I was struck almost immediately. Anyway, I heard of a deal on a stash of port from a guy who wanted to buy heavily into Italian wine. I picked up a case of 91 Dow, a case of 91 Warres, 10 bottles of 83 Taylor and a bunch of others. With that purchse, port became my #2 holding.

Dan
Niels Stroejer

Post by Niels Stroejer »

Well, my records go back to mid 2004 (my little excel-file in which i keep purchases, stock "an account" to ensure i do not purchase to much, and listings over point, where i got the port from, here it is now, etc. etc.)
From the file i can see i have bought a case of Warre´s Otima in september 2004 for the price of 60 Euro, which was a very "friendly" price back then (and still is).

I have bought a lot of cases the last 5 years, but always because i knew I should split with the Board or others.

My largest purchase though were 2 weeks ago, around new year, where i bought:
Warre 1970,1994,2000 of cs each and 2 bt 1985
Taylor 1980 (1½ cs), 2 bt 1963, 2 bt 1955 and 4 bt 1966
Fonseca 1963 (1½ cs) 1985 (4 cs), 1980 1 cs, 4 bt 1966
4 bt grahams 1985
6 bt Dow 1985
A total of 156 bottles.

A total of 10500 £

Unfortunally i can not keep it all to myself. 7 others might want to take their part, since they have deposited quite some money at my bankaccount :-)

But i do still miss 2 3-bottle case in my collection. The gift package with a vinha Velha 1995,1997,2000. And an ordinary Vinha Velha case in 1997.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Stroejer
I have sent you two emails. Can you please read the emails and get back to me, thank you.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

My first case purchase was '55 Cockburn. I believe that I still have 7 bottles from that original case.

Marc
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

1985 Graham's which my wife unwittingly left in the trunk of our car in August in Texas . Some of the corks popped up a bit. Strangely enough, the wine tasted fine and had no major heat damage. We aquired more 85 Graham's and all were good. I don't have much of it left!
Richard Henderson
Inge Carlén

Post by Inge Carlén »

Indeed I do! I remember it as if it were yesterday, er well, in fact it was yesterday. :wink:

Based on recommendations from all you wonderful Port lovers on this forum and after looking at Roy's Top 12 Ports, I decided to invest in a full case of Fonseca 1985. I can't wait to try it! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Inge Carlén wrote:Indeed I do! I remember it as if it were yesterday, er well, in fact it was yesterday. :wink:

Based on recommendations from all you wonderful Port lovers on this forum and after looking at Roy's Top 12 Ports, I decided to invest in a full case of Fonseca 1985. I can't wait to try it! [cheers.gif]
WOOHOOO congratulations [yahoo.gif] [dance2.gif] :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

of course I remember! It was 1970 Taylor. What a superb wine!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Inge Carlén wrote:Indeed I do! I remember it as if it were yesterday, er well, in fact it was yesterday. :wink:

Yum! Congratulations, that's an excellent first full-case purchase! You're going to enjoy those bottles for many years to come... assuming you don't power through them in the next year, of course! :lol: [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Inge Carlén

Post by Inge Carlén »

Glenn E. wrote:Yum! Congratulations, that's an excellent first full-case purchase! You're going to enjoy those bottles for many years to come... assuming you don't power through them in the next year, of course! :lol: [cheers.gif]
It will be hard to resist, but I want to keep some of them for future occasions. :yumyum:

And if the quality of this Vintage is as good as it's been stated, then I'm guessing the prices also will go up over time. Does anyone here have a guess at what the availability/price of this VP will be in the next couple of years? I got what I consider a very comfortable price for something of this quality, but that is perhaps because it's "under the radar" on account of the bad rep the 80s VPs have?
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

3 cs kopke 1970 what a way to start in 1997 around the time i first started emailing roy and what a great desiple of port roy has now become 1bt left in neck with the keepers for my children batch cost 200 pounds per case auction whick the only place i ever buy
it is what got me onto port noeone had heard of kopke in the uk then damed good port has backbone ritch its rare symonb
no bad bottles of the 35 not 1 from memory 93/96 pt [bye2.gif]
Thomas Tideman Holst

Post by Thomas Tideman Holst »

Symon,
Can you recommend some european online auctions for VP's?
Gustavo Devesas

Post by Gustavo Devesas »

15th of May 2008 - 2 cases of Vesuvio 2005 [help.gif] - this one makes me want to live forever.

Warm regards,

Gustavo
Together we fall, united we stand.
Lester Lee

Post by Lester Lee »

Gustavo! It's Lester - we met at Graham's last month and I made my way to FTLOP. I'll send an email shortly.

First case was 2003 Quinta do Noval Silval at $300.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Lester Lee wrote:Gustavo! It's Lester - we met at Graham's last month and I made my way to FTLOP. I'll send an email shortly.

First case was 2003 Quinta do Noval Silval at $300.
Lester,

Look for the 2003 Quinta do Noval VP (not the silval) as you may find the pricing dirt cheap. The importer changed and the old one blew out at fire-sale prices. Hopefully you can still find some on sale.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

My first case purchase was two cases of Cockburn's Quinta da Tua 1987, which I must have bought in 1990 as my contribution to the wine club that was run at work that year. Tua 1987 was the wine club port that Christmas - at something under £5 a bottle!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Alex,

How was the '87 Tua? Have you had any in recent years?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

The Tua '87 when we split the cases at work in the early 90's was very good, lots of people came back for more.

I did manage to pick up a couple of bottles last year and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting them nearly 20 years later. I rated the two bottles 91 and 92 points.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I've just re-read this thread and really enjoyed it, so thought I'd give it a nudge. Anyone else want to contribute?

I only started keeping proper detailed cellar records in 1992 but do recall making occasional case quantity purchases before that, like the Tua 1987, which were shared with other Port lovers at the time. According to my records the first full case of Port which I bought purely for myself was in August 1997 when I bought 2 six-packs of Vesuvio 1992 as a late ex-cellars release. They are still in professional storage under bond. Given that I paid £25 per bottle at the time and that I could now sell them for about £31 per bottle, I am glad I didn't buy them as an investment!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Eric Menchen wrote:Still looking forward to it, as I have yet to purchase a full case of anything. I've got a bid in right now for my 6th half case, 2003 Quinta do Vesuvio.
I think my first full case was a little after the above post, 1977 Warres VP. And I enjoyed it so much, I bought a second case.