2007 Quinta da Romaneira, Tinto

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2007 Quinta da Romaneira, Tinto

Post by Roy Hersh »

I decanted this for three hours and it is still so primary, I am just having a glass tonight and will revisit this tomorrow and possibly into Tuesday.

Glints of gorgeous garnet and a breathtaking aromatic profile, I really am enjoying this but it is like a cask sample, although it is a finished bottle that should soon make its way to the USA. I'll be back to report more on this one. I also had the Cedro do Noval from 2007 a few nights ago. Whoa, certainly the best Cedro yet!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2007 Quinta da Romaneira, Tinto

Post by Roy Hersh »

23 hours later (or so) this is showing some austere dark fruit notes, along with tobacco, hints of tapenade and an earth and soil accent. Although the fruit is under-ripe, last night upon opening it was brighter and more exuberant, whereas tonight it is darker and certainly a bit more restrained. This is a serious wine that Bordeaux and Barolo fans would appreciate. The acidity and mild mannered tannins are both apparent but neither stand out, which is a good thing. 2007 Romaneira delivers a medium weight but mouth-filling wine that would be able to handle subtly nuanced dishes as well as heartier fare, even possibly red sauce and pasta but meat dishes would allow it to really stand out. A very dry profile with rhubarb and cranberry fruit flavors (not what I was expecting to evolve given the brightness when first opened) and a tasty but drying long finish. There's also impressions of meaty, cassis and minerality which add extra layers to the mid-palate. I have another bottle to try, but will wait at least two more years to open that to see how it fleshes out with some time. I'd prefer if this were just a bit riper overall but again, this is seemingly first and foremost, a fine food wine. If I had to choose, the first cousin, Cedro do Noval in 2007 is the wine I prefer for sipping alone, although the Romaneira is the one I'd choose to have with a rack of lamb or nice Porterhouse. 90+ points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com