Multi: 1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port and 1970 too!

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Axel Probst

Multi: 1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port and 1970 too!

Post by Axel Probst »

Just a few weeks ago I uncorked a Noval 63 VP and a Noval 70. Before that we had a 99 LBV and a Tawny 20y old.

The 20y old Tawny comes very close to my all time favourite 20y old from Burmester, so dont miss it, if you have the opportunity.

But back to the VPs: the 70 and the 63 were bottlewise in excellent condition with a reasonable cork.
Before I continue I have to mention, that both VPs were very much alike and none of the 4 of our group were able to differentiate the 2 within the first hour after opening the bottles.

After about 2 hours the 70 came up a bit better as the 63 went inwards again and kind of closed.

Both were very light, almoust like the 20y old in colour. The nose was nutty and flowery. In the mouth was exactly the taste that the nose directed, although the nutty flavour was a bit more intense. The aftertaste was extrordinary.

My advice: The were worth the money (just kidding: my grandfather collected them both (lucky me)), but I would rather go for the 70, as it might be cheaper and in better condition.

Although my experience is not too great concerning old ports, but I got the impression, that both a very mature and decrease in qualitiy from now on. So everyone who still owns a couple: Drink em now!

Regards,

Axel