An article on Tawny Port in chocolate

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

An article on Tawny Port in chocolate

Post by Roy Hersh »

Standard fare right before Valentines Day ... http://www.nj.com/homegarden/entertaini ... st_12.html

Discuss!?!!?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Re: An article on Tawny Port in chocolate

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Discuss? What? It's a basic-level article; reasonably accurate; limited to a single group. It's a fills a weekly wine article.

As to his opinions on the wines and pairings: De gustibus non disputandum est.

I guess it's nice to see coverage of port, any where, any time.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Yeah, it's a pretty basic article, but good information.

I like the fact that his "revelation" came from pairing Tawny Port with chocolate. [yahoo.gif] That's the way I like it, too, contrary to the more common pairing of Ruby Ports and chocolate. :Naughty:
Glenn Elliott
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Peter W. Meek wrote:Discuss? What? It's a basic-level article; reasonably accurate; limited to a single group. It's a fills a weekly wine article.

As to his opinions on the wines and pairings: De gustibus non disputandum est.

I guess it's nice to see coverage of port, any where, any time.

Like you say " suum cuique "

parles en bien , parles en mal mais parles en . . .
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Just noticed in Vermont Country Store catalogue: Port-infused Chocolate Sticks. Never ordered any, but outside of (probably) not being tawny, it sort of matched the topic.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

"Consuming a full bottle of aged tawny port requires at least six people."

I bet a few people here could disprove that sentence, myself included ;)
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Markus D. wrote:"Consuming a full bottle of aged tawny port requires at least six people."

i think that was a typo and should have read "Consuming six full magnums of aged tawny port requires at least six people." [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Markus D. wrote:"Consuming a full bottle of aged tawny port requires at least six people."

The best I've ever done by myself was half a bottle, but I know some people who can (and have) downed an entire bottle on their own.

:winepour: :winepour: :winepour:
Glenn Elliott
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

Speaking of typos, shouldn't the topic be "tawny port and chocolate" instead of "tawny port in chocolate"?
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:Speaking of typos, shouldn't the topic be "tawny port and chocolate" instead of "tawny port in chocolate"?
It must have been that special chocolate bottle some Port comes in :evil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've had chocolates filled with wine, and I'm trying to remember if I saw any filled with Port in Porto. I bet such a thing does exist.
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I've recently found a couple different recipes for port truffles that I want to try, one calling for tawny port and one for ruby. I'm interested to see how they come out.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I know of a company that produces chocolate with Port and also with Madeira. I tried to make this available in a very early rendition of the newsletter, as I knew the importer, but the delivery logistics at the time meant I'd have to take possession and do the shipping and I was just not into doing that from home.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Well, I made both kinds of truffles (tawny and ruby) yesterday, and unfortunately the flavor of the port didn't really come through in either one. But, even a failed chocolate experiment is a tasty one, so I'll probably be forced to eat these anyway. :lol:

Maybe I'll try it again sometime with a higher percentage of Port, or maybe reduce the Port down before I add it to the chocolate, so the flavor gets intensified.
Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I think the trick is greater volume and not reductions to maintain the purity of flavors. Reductions typically require other ingredients, although a pure reduction without the addition of the usual suspects may turn out better as well.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Melanie R. wrote:so I'll probably be forced to eat these anyway. :lol:
Oh darn, I feel so sorry for you! :roll:

I've had commercially made Port truffles before, and there's not much Port flavor to them. It's really quite subtle, and think maybe that is actually the point. I'd definitely be interested in one that had more Port flavor in it, though!
Glenn Elliott
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

I know, I know. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.... :roll: I'm determined to come up with a version where the flavor of the Port shines through. Luckily my husband's coworkers will probably be more than happy to eat my "mistakes"--I can only eat so many truffles, I'm afraid.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Melanie R. wrote:Well, I made both kinds of truffles (tawny and ruby) yesterday, and unfortunately the flavor of the port didn't really come through in either one. But, even a failed chocolate experiment is a tasty one, so I'll probably be forced to eat these anyway. :lol: .
Too bad I'm not in your area, those sound tasty no matter what!
Melanie R.

Post by Melanie R. »

Thanks! I would definitely be willing to share. If I come up with a good version of these, I'll share the recipe.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

At the last BFT, Chris Aa gave me some Port truffle chocolates that he had made - ruby Port truffle in dark chocolate, tawny Port in milk chocolate and white Port in white chocolate. They went down very nicely indeed and were beautifully presented. I'm not sure if Chris is making them commercially - but if he isn't, he really should!

As I was looking for this thread, I noticed this from Glenn a little further up.
Glenn E. wrote:The best I've ever done by myself was half a bottle...
I wonder if that's still true?