Spreading false info

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

ryan opaz

Spreading false info

Post by ryan opaz »

http://www.thedailypage.com/going-out/e ... NewsID=461

Found this today, seems a bit odd to say:
Because of the added distilled spirit, once opened, ports keep up to a year if they are stored in a cool, dry area with an airtight cork. They will lose some of their freshness after a few months, but no worries.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Not so long ago my mother served me a glass of ruby port from a bottle opened 2 years previously and stored in the kitchen cupboard - not great but by no means vinegar - I wonder if we are all missing a trick :P
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The notion that 'port doesn't keep' isn't borne out by my experience.

Not only does it keep much better than many assert, I have repeatedly found that VP and other unfiltered wines improve significantly after a day or so in decanter.

I have also encountered bottles of tawny that have lain half drunk for a long period and are still in good shape.

This is good reportage!

Tom
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

Perhaps not undrinkable but certainly changed, ESPECIALLY after a year. I think some of the subleties are long gone by then.

Madiera however, I could see going a year. Still going to change but notas drastically.

Jay.
- Jay Woodruff.
Nikolaj Winther

Post by Nikolaj Winther »

In my experience, port (many sorts) can keep for months and months. Sure they loose a lot. A vintage character "decrease" to Ruby-level etc. But if you're just having a glass of port with your coffee in the evening (not meditating over it), most port keeps for months and months.
What I lack in size I make up for in obnoxiousness.