After the `06 Prazo de Roriz, I try the `04!

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

After the `06 Prazo de Roriz, I try the `04!

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

TN: `04 Prazo de Roriz, Douro Portugal

Cellared for over three years, 13.5% alc, good natural cork,opened and decanted for one hour. Slight trace of sediment noted, usual 4 suspects of grapes.

Color. Medium ruby, light purple rim. No sign of age yet.

Nose. Very closed, some heat as it airs? `06 nose was more expressive eh. Black fruits but hard to discern. Earthy on day 2.

Initial entry thought was smooth entry, dry, soft tannins, pepper, black fruits. Fair acidity, solid, not port-like. Plum and blackcurrant in the glass after an hour but not a lot of ripeness here. Some cheese nibbles help the finish. "Not too spectacular" from across the table.
More of a rounded finish on day 2, some decent food might have helped.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: After the `06 Prazo de Roriz, I try the `04!

Post by Andy Velebil »

Did this seem like it was in a dumb phase?

I ask as I'm curious as to when, or if, you've ever experienced Douro wines shutting down like their VP counterparts. We all know many VP's do, but the question is do Douro wines do the same. And if so, around what age and for how long do they shut down? Just something I've wondered about after recently having a 2004 Crasto Vinha da Ponte that seemed like it was shutting down.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Andy, closed down? That is what I thought but I am not a real expert!!Not enough experience with the wines of Portugal yet.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Andy, closed down? That is what I thought but I am not a real expert!!Not enough experience with the wines of Portugal yet.
Yes I meant closed down. Considering there isn't a huge track record for top Douro wines yet, we may be years off from coming up with an approximate time frame like we often see happen in the top VP's. This may make a good "Question for the trade" segment or for a future guest producer (if they also make Douro wines).
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com