What Port are you drinking during the Super Bowl?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

What Port are you drinking during the Super Bowl?

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have a MAG of 1970 Fonseca in perfect condition ready to open. It is snowing nicely here (Colorado) and we have more than a dozen folks coming over to watch the game and help my brother celebrate his 50th. What a crazy weekend so far.

Go N.O. :clap:

So what do you have pulled for today's game?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: What Port are you drinking during the Super Bowl?

Post by Glenn E. »

Just food today, no Port on the schedule. This particular crowd doesn't drink much Port in the best of circumstances, and during a football game isn't the best of circumstances. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Super Bowl? What's that? Never heard of it.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Dale B.

Post by Dale B. »

Enjoy the game. Just wanted to say that Australians drink port (Australian" Port" ) a lot at their AFL aussie rules games and at home watching.
The season is quite long and Port goes down well in the winter. Of course beer is the main brace in warmer climates in Oz, beer and, Bundabergrum and Coke, which is so popular that is on tap in many Western Australia pubs..
One of our fondest memories was drinking Port with friends in Chiltern Vic , about 100 miles NE of Melbourne. Chiltern is near many wineries especialy in Rutherglen where many Sweet "Port" and sweet "stickies" are made re: Buller, and Chambers, as well as many good wines. Gold was found there when according to the story, a mouse showed a prospecter where the gold was in exchange for not disturbing his home (one can only imagine how much Port he had consumed). Their home is an old bank complete with the vault, perfect for their Port and wine trove.
In any case, Port goes well with football and the cold night air, as we watched Carlton struggle on the television while we enjoyed the Port. Glad to hear that other folks enjoy Port with football as well. College students should be sneeking flasks of Port into the games.
Enjoy the game, it looks to be a great matchup... And the Port
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter W. Meek wrote:Super Bowl? What's that? Never heard of it.
It's a really big bowl. I use one for breakfast when I'm really hungry [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter W. Meek wrote:
Yeah, living in the land of the Detroit Lions I am not suprised whatsoever that the locals are clueless about what the Super Bowl is. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:
Peter W. Meek wrote:
Yeah, living in the land of the Detroit Lions I am not suprised whatsoever that the locals are clueless about what the Super Bowl is. :lol:
University of Detroit Mercy? Didn't know they had a football program. Dick Vitale was their basketball coach for a while, though!

But I thought they were called the Titans, not the Lions. Who are the Lions? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Glenn E. wrote:... Who are the Lions? :wink:
The Lions seem to be competing for all the records that you don't want to claim: losses, winless seasons, failure to qualify for the SB, etc., etc.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I remember an old Eddie Murphy movie where he was from Detroit and wore a Lion's jacket. Think that was the last time I've seen their logo anywhere, didn't know they still existed as a team :P
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oh, and no Port for me as I was working till 2am last night :( But tonight........
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Andy Velebil wrote:I remember an old Eddie Murphy movie where he was from Detroit and wore a Lion's jacket. Think that was the last time I've seen their logo anywhere, didn't know they still existed as a team :P
You can't extend your losing streak if you don't play.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

When is the Superbowl this year? Is it time to start planning what to drink on Superbowl weekend yet?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

February 6, 2011. So you have some time, but it's never too early to plan some Port drinking. And I need to plan some snowboarding for that day as well.