Closed phase for VP and Decanting?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

David Sweet

Closed phase for VP and Decanting?

Post by David Sweet »

Roy's wonderful decanting formula along with thinking 'I wish I had discovered Port at age 25 rather than 55' prompted a question as I see all these marvelous reports about 2000 and 2003 VPs.

If one is going to buy a recent vintage VP and open/decant before one dies, do VPs go through a closed phase that we should be careful to avoid? If so, does it depend on producer/vintage?

I really would like to experience some of these, but won't live long enough to age them correctly if I take the plunge.

Many TIA!!!
David Sweet
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

David, just as many long living wines, Port do go trough a dumb/closed phase. But it is hard to generalize to all the producers/vintages to know when it is going to happen. The best way is to taste and to read tasting notes others have made.

Also how can someone acess the Port is in a dumb phase. You have to be confident enough to know that this producer normally makes better Port than that and that it should reveal itself better in 5-10 years.

So probably in 5-10 years, when you'll taste the same Port again you'll probably be able to validate what you have thought back then, that this port was is a dumb phase or just a normal phase of its evolution.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

David,

Frederick makes some excellent points and I agree with all he has shared here.

My suggestion for you would be to purchase Vintage Ports that are from the 1990s and earlier that would provide good value and excellent drinking experiences long before the 2000 and 2003s became ready to drink.

Then again, my "ready-to-drink" is someone else's over the hill. Some people love to drink 'em young too. So it is hard to give a "one size fits all" answer. But at 48, I did not invest heavily in 2003, just buying enough to cure the curiosity and pass the rest along to my daughter when she is of age. There are some great values out there in vintages like 1987, 1995 and 1996 and even older vintages like 1985 and 1983, although the last vintage mentioned is going to generally need lots of time, IMO, to reach maturity for the top producers in the vintage. Keep your eye on the MARKETPLACE here as we offer up some super values from time to time with older bottlings at some impressive pricing and provenance.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com