I get to try another Luis Pato white!

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bob Parsons Alberta

I get to try another Luis Pato white!

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

At last weeks Wines of Portugal tasting in support of the ESO, here in Edmonton, I thought the Pato Formal was the best white out of about 20 I tasted. I have some Pato whites in the cellar so picked this one out to celebrate Canadas first gold medal in the Olympics!

TN: `07 Luis Pato Vinhas Velhas Branco Beiras, Portugal.

12% alc, $22 Cdn, good natural cork, has seen some oak, chalky/clay soils, blend of Cerceal, Sercialinho and Bical grapes. Tried to serve this white not too chilled.

Color. Pale yellow with greenish tints.

Nose. Usual Portuguese mish mash! Quite expressive, herbal, floral with some tropical fruit which did not appeal to this drinker. Lemon good but pineapple and apricot, nagh!

Palate. Initial entry thoughts were off-dry, ripe-ish white stone fruits, good acidity. "Some vanilla here" from across the table but I thought oak non-intrusive. I like the taste much better than the nose, some minerality here mixed in with the citrus finish which was quite strong on day 2. Think I prefer the Formal however.

***** I tend to rank the Pato whites behind Crasto and CARM, but not by much.
Frederick Blais

Re: I get to try another Luis Pato white!

Post by Frederick Blais »

Thanks for the info about the Formal, I did order some and should get them next week or so. I've never tried any Pato white yet, can't wait!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks for the note Bob. I like Pato's wines a lot, and think that they don't get enough attention.
But enough about me, what do YOU think of me? -- Johnny Bravo
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bob,
thanks for the TN's on this as I've not yet had any of his wines. How would you rank them compared to Niepoort's white's?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bob Parsons Alberta

Post by Bob Parsons Alberta »

Sorry, not available in Alberta.