How Long Should I Hold On To...?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Scott R.

How Long Should I Hold On To...?

Post by Scott R. »

I have single bottles of each of the following:

Croft VP 2000
Ferreira VP 2003
Warre's VP 2003
Quinta Do Crasto VP 2003
Ramos Pinto VP 2003

They're all stored properly and I'm in no rush to drink them. I have not tasted any of them before so have little experience with the individual producers. The only conclusion I think I've reached is that the 2000 should be longer lived than the 2003s (which seem to be more approachable in the short term).

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
Derek T.

Re: How Long Should I Hold On To...?

Post by Derek T. »

Scott,

It depends on what you think your buying strategy might be. All of the wines on your list will require at least another 10 years to begin to mature and would probably benefit from another 10 after that. But, as these are single bottles that you have you could open them over the next few years and then decide whether or not to buy more of the same to lay down to mature.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 2000 may or may not be the longer lived vintage. I believe that there are a greater number of 2003s, that will go the extra distance. I have likened the 2000 and 2003 vintages to 1963 and 1966 respectively. We'll see how my 5 year old prediction turns out down the road, but it also really depends (beyond Derek's great advice which is spot on) on how you like to drink your Ports. Do you enjoy them young, as teenagers or with some secondary character or fully mature?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I thought 2003 is considered a "better" vintage?

I would wait until 2020 to start drinking your selection. [help.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

The 2000 vs. 2003 argument is always a great one. Although I probably own more 2000 VPs than any other vintage (I could not resist and went hog wild in 2002 when my daughter was born knowing it would likely be my last act of having funds to buy so many cases from a single vintage) I believe at the very upper end of both vintages, we see MORE great VPs in 2003 than 2000. That said, there are some real stunners in 2000 and I just hope they are able to age nicely until I am like 90. :oops:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:I thought 2003 is considered a "better" vintage?

[help.gif]
Good question and one Roy already touched on. Roy and I differ as I know he likes the 2003 better and I like the 2000 overall better. I brought up this same topic during the Malvedos tasting and it was interesting to hear some people's thoughts and to get Paul's as well. As I've mentioned before I think 2000 will be a better vintage overall in the long haul. It's a fun debate as really no one will know until more time has elapsed. And the best part is how many bottles we get to drink trying to figure it out.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I believe that I've heard 2000 and 2003 compared to 1963 and 1966 respectively. Given the comparison, I'd say they're both pretty safe bets!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm betting on the 2003s right now, but I'm hedging with at least a few 2000s. I just checked my inventory and in fact I have more 2003 than anything else, and it represents 19% of my VP.
Al B.

Should we drink 2000 vintage soon

Post by Al B. »

I was going through some old threads and found this one from 2010. Moses's advice made me smile.
Moses Botbol wrote:I would wait until 2020 to start drinking your selection. [help.gif]
Get that corkscrew ready...
Eric Menchen wrote:I'm betting on the 2003s right now, but I'm hedging with at least a few 2000s. I just checked my inventory and in fact I have more 2003 than anything else, and it represents 19% of my VP.
And how does it look today?

Out of interest I checked my records: 5% of my Port comes from the 2000 vintage and only 3% from 2003. I think that is mostly because some very compelling deals came up on the 2000 Vintage - Bottles of Smith Woodhouse @ £7, or Eira Velha @ £10-12 each from a well known retailer in 2009, for example. How could anyone refuse that temptation!
Last edited by Al B. on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Menchen

Re: Should we drink 2000 vintage soon

Post by Eric Menchen »

Al B. wrote:
Eric Menchen wrote:I'm betting on the 2003s right now, but I'm hedging with at least a few 2000s. I just checked my inventory and in fact I have more 2003 than anything else, and it represents 19% of my VP.
And how does it look today?
Not correcting for a few magnums and colheitas, my quick calculations show that today my cellar leading Port vintages are:
1994 - 15%
2011 - 12%
2003 - 10%
2007 - 8%
2000 - 7%
1997 - 7%
I have barely touched any 2000 or 2003 bottles, so I still don't know which will be the winner of those two.