2007 Morgadio da Calçada Vintage Port -- (bottled and produced by NIEPOORT)

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

goncalo devesas

2007 Morgadio da Calçada Vintage Port -- (bottled and produced by NIEPOORT)

Post by goncalo devesas »

I must say that I didn´t knew that they had the 2007 VP from Morgadio da Calçada, I saw in :ftlop: , mentioned by Andy.

I really want to try another bottle of VP 2007 from Morgadio da Calçada, because:

On the nose: very very weak in aromas, slightly earthy and mineral, the colour light violet, I may say that, there was a huge filtration before the bottling time... [shrug.gif] It needs to ventilate much more.

They said that it will expand the aromas in 10/15 years...

On the palate: very smooth, very watery, riped strawberry, good tanins and a delighted aftertaste :yumyum:
Michael M.

Re: Morgadio da Calçada VP 2007 (bottled and produced by NIEPOORT)

Post by Michael M. »

The first time I tasted the 2007 Morgadio VP was on a big tasting in Germany mid february.

One week ago I spent 4 days with it side by side with the 2007 Niepoort VP und 2007 Niepoort Pisca VP. Although it does not has the class of the two others I liked 2007 Morgadio VP a lot. It needed about 48 hrs to show attractive flavours of morello and raspberry on the nose. It's in a more rustic structure than the two others, especially the tannins are not as finegrained und polished and the acidity is more standing out, but it's really attractive in its own style. Even after 75 hrs it was fresh and vivid. I'd suppose 20-25 years of aging would be no problem. And I'd say that Dirk made a great job with this first vintage. I found it to be better than the 90 points from J. Miller/WA.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

Michael, I agree, but I need to tell you that I tasted it in "Essencia do Vinho" fair, they opened the bottle and in 10/15min. it was gone... it´s the reason that I want to try it again, because I don´t want to be unfair... I have a friend working there and we´ll taste it during 3 days to see the evolution...

I also saw that Robert Parker rated this VP with 90 points.
Last edited by goncalo devesas on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Goncalo, I agree that it is only a kind of snapshot impression one can get on these tastings. Conditions are not controlled, the Port often is served way too warm. The Morgadio certainly derserves an assessment over a period of three or four days. I am shure you will take much pleasure and I am looking forward to your note. BTW: J. Miller ist the man of the Parker crew reviewing the Ports latterly.

Kind regards, [cheers.gif]
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port