1950 Fajã dos Padres Vineyard Terrantez

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andreas Platt

1950 Fajã dos Padres Vineyard Terrantez

Post by Andreas Platt »

Hi everyone!

I am new to Roy's FTLOP pages.

The Master himself is offline, maybe someone else can help out?

I got an offer for a 1950 Terrantez Faja dos Padres; does anyone have any info 'bout this one?

Thanks in advance

Andreas
Paul Day

Post by Paul Day »

Faja dos Padres is historically the most renowned vineyard in Madeira. Its fame was for Malvasia. Alex Liddell gives a detailed account on pp.99-102 of his book.

Despite this fame, there appear to be very few existing wines that come from Faja dos Padres, mainly because the vineyard seems to have had a tough time following phyloxera, and the fact that in recent years it was more profitable to grow bananas - imagine replanting Romanee-Conti with potatoes!

Of those wines that are actually labelled with the vineyard name, I have only heard of three prior to the 1950 Barbeito Terrantez you ask about: a glorious 1839 Blandy's wine that is one of the greatest Malmseys I have ever tried, totally complete and still fresh for its age (Liddell likes it too!); Liddell also gives a note for an 1870 (that he deems "unremarkable"); finally, from the de Freitas collection, I opened a undated mid C19 example last year that was still very sweet, quite light in colour, with lots of finesse, that was very fine, if not quite in the same league as the Blandy's 1839.

Cossart (p.143 of his book) says that the Cossart-Gordon 1920 Malmsey was from the Faja dos Padres. This comment is copied by Broadbent (VW p.502) but is questioned by other evidence as noted by Liddell. Cossart also mentions that the foundation of the 1808 Cossart-Gordon Solera was from Faja dos Padres (p.125). The great Barros e Sousa 1934 Malvasia Faja is from another vineyard at the base of a cliff, not from Faja dos Padres, as I understand it.

As to the wine in question, it has just been released by Barbeito who purchased it in 2002 from the Fernandes family. I saw Ricardo de Freitas of Barbeito in London before Christmas and he mentioned that he had a 1950 Terrantez that was due for release, but little did I suspect it was from the Faja dos Padres. I haven't yet had the chance to try it, but I suspect it is more than ok given the grower (i.e., Fernandes) and Ricardo's enthusiasm.

I suspect there is very little available, and the price at which I have seen it offered seems very reasonable (i.e., on a par or less than other Terrantez from the 1950's, with no premium for the vineyard name).

Paul
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

HERE TODAY GONE TOMORROW ....

See the MARKETPLACE for the offering
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Roy,

Hi - first of all.

Do i understand correct that this is an absolute BUY?

Have you had the chance to taste this Madeira, btw? The price isn't too cheap, but on the other hand...

Will there be another retailer for this wine or is that distributed exclusively through RWC? If so, that would be something very special as it would mean that it's a one-time opportunity.

Thanks for your answer in advance

Andreas
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andreas,

There is clearly VERY little of this available for the marketplace. I believe 2-3 cases at the maximum were made available to RWC by Barbeito. I know of no other retailer in the USA that received any and would think that either this is a very exclusive arrangement or that maybe one EU based retailer received a similar quantity, but I doubt that and am just speculating here.

Supplies of Terrantez are very tight. I spent a tremendous amount of time asking every single individual I met in Madeira why Terrantez is not being replanted and related topics. This will be the subject of an article I write in the FTLOP newletter coming in April. There are quite a few complex reasons actually and it will add color to the big Madeira newsletter.

I don't disagree that for a 50 something year old Madeira that is a pricey bottle, but since you can just buy ONE, it is a no-brainer. No, I have not tasted it but know someone who has, that I trust. So, I made sure to place my order!

When you think that the entire USA will have less than one bottle per state, that is crazy. I would have to assume they are all gone by now, but it is certainly worth a call first thing in the a.m. to find out.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

I took "my" bottle, but won't touch it for a loooong time (if ever).

I would be interested if all the bottles purchased are purchased from members participating in this forum...but we could count, so that's one for me...anyone else? Roy, one for you, too, leaves 22 (if the original amount was 2 cases)...

Greetings,

Andreas
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

One for me too 8)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Since I will receive my bottle on Thursday, I'll take one for the team and provide a TN in the upcoming FTLOP newsletter, so that you guys won't have to open your bottles out of curiosity.

Is that fair?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy,

That is far more than fair, I thank very much for offering to do that. I have already thought it would have to be a very very special occasion for me to open it. I look forward to your tasting note.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

One retailer in Europe in Europe gets some, too. I have been informed on this today.

They will only sell these to frequent users, which i am not. However i will ask them for pricing. I guess that they will be more expensive than RWC.

Andreas
Jay Woodruff

Post by Jay Woodruff »

actuary wrote:I took "my" bottle, but won't touch it for a loooong time (if ever).

I would be interested if all the bottles purchased are purchased from members participating in this forum...but we could count, so that's one for me...anyone else? Roy, one for you, too, leaves 22 (if the original amount was 2 cases)...

Greetings,

Andreas
I took one as well. Only have one other Terrantez, the 1977 D'Oliveira Terrantez, so I am excited to pick this one up.

Very eagerly awaiting the TN next week from Roy.

Jay.
- Jay Woodruff.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

As good as the '77 is, the wine that comes from this incredible vineyard has the capability of providing a very different experience. The extra quarter of a century will also provide some greater intensity and complexity, but it is more about the VINEYARD in this particular case.

Glad to see the Madeira Forum getting more attention!
Andreas Platt

Post by Andreas Platt »

Roy,

seems to be a popular topic :wink:

I have some new infos for those interested: one european dealer currently offers the 1950T for EUR 250,- (USD 300,-), so it seems that the RWC-price was a good deal (as i already supposed).

There will be a second european retailer (whom i mentioned before; i have confirmed info about him selling this stuff), i guess his pricing will be about the same - EUR 250,-.

BTW: I'm already curious 'bout your TN's - thanks for letting us know.

Andreas

especially@Roy: i'm not quite sure how you meant when you said you were glad i didn't say something, but i interpret it as a modified version of "Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses" 8) - which i did
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andreas et al,

My delivery arrived today. I opened the bottle right away and took a few sips right out of the bottle and am leaving the bottle open in my cellar. This is the kind of beauty that will improve with a week of sitting uncorked. I discussed this in great detail with the owner of RWC. I won't say anything except that I loved it, until I do a formal tasting note next week.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I recieved mine today in the post. I cannot wait to read Roy's TN on this one.

I do have one question. The bottle has a driven cork in it with a wax top. Do I store this lying down? I know with other madeira's everyone says to leave them upright. But this will probably be in my cellar for some time before I open this, as that will be a very important occassion.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Have you had the chance to taste this Madeira, btw? The price isn't too cheap, but on the other hand...

YES, earlyand often and it is worth every penny.

TN to follow.

As to the question re: whether or not to lay it down, Andy, I suggest keeping it standing up if you have room in your cellar. Corks in Madeira need no cantact with the wine. Although I have never experienced a single bottle fo Madeira that was corked ... if the juice does not come in contact (although it did during shipping) with the cork, it can't be contaminated. Honestly though, I lay em down in my cellar as I don't have room for my Madeiras to stand up.

Tasting note will be post today!