Also need 1995 Birthday port recommendations

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Raj Patil

Also need 1995 Birthday port recommendations

Post by Raj Patil »

this friend wants a few cases for his child to drink over the next few decades - thanks
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Raj,

There's a whole range of 1995 Single Quinta ports to choose from. On vaious threads on this forum you will find tasting notes or discussions on the Malvedos 1995, the Vesuvio 1995 and the Vargellas 1995. All of these are wines which I would recommend to your friend for his child's drinking over the next few decades.

The Vesuvio 1995 is what I have bought for my son as his birthwine!

Alex
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Alex,

Thanks so much for the info. Fred will not be able to drink for another 10 years, so I'll tell his dad to think about the vesuvio and others to lay down.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And two of the lesser known beauties from 1995 are:

Ferreira VP, which is even a greater quality than their very good 1994!

The other is the Martinez Eira Velha, which is a beautifully balanced VP at a great price.

Seek them out. You don't always have to go with the proven winners to find some excellent VPs to drink from under-appreciated vintages. I love to drink '95s as some of you know, rather than LBVs. For the extra $10 to find these fine bottlings is well worth putting a mixed case together. You can't always be opening up the great old bottles ... or there'd be none left in the cellar.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Culhane

Post by Steve Culhane »

I think 95s are a great deal and would have been declared by some if not for 94.

My favs are Taylor Vargellas and Vesuvio. Also agree with Ron on the Martinez.

Steve
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I stocked up on some Graham's 95 Malvedos at the "crazy sale" ( see my thread on that). I am sipping some now that I bought for $20.
It has been open for 24 hours and holdig well. It has the Graham's bouquet, mint ripe berry fruit. Good mouthfeel. More good berry fruit reminds me of Scottish summer fruit jams. Medium finish. Probably not a blockbuster for aging but I think it will still be quite good for 15-20 years. It has some nice tannins and fruit, it could well improve. 87-89 points.Possibly higher depending on its evolution.
Richard Henderson
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Roy, have you tasted the Martinez recently? I did 3 times in the last 2 years and it is clearcy a fast maturing Port. I don't know if Quebec bottles had suffered from heat or bad storage, but from my taste these had reached their peak. No primary fruit was left, lots of dried figs, caramel notes. Very pleasant and a great deal but not a Port I'd lay down for my children to drink as he age.

I've never tasted it but Fonseca Guimaraens received great reviews from tasters on the net.

If you want to buy something special, Taylor released for the first time with the 95 vintage their Vinha Velha bottling. A special cuvée of old Vargellas vines, all above 75 years old, north facing and slow ripening to bring the best complexity in a Port. We'll see in a few years!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

I am tasting the Graham' Malvedos on day 2. It is really good stuff.
If it can be found, set some aside, Graham's always comes through, IMHO.
Richard Henderson