Port Collecting Fanaticism

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Port Collecting Fanaticism

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am not talking about Port that you have in your cellar for later drinking pleasure. I am referring to Port-related accoutrements and paraphenalia.

Such as corks, empty bottles, removed labels, OWC's, embossed capsule tops, and those types of things. I noted in a current thread where Moses mentioned that he removes some labels to save. I have seen some collectors who have elaborate libraries of their wine labels. So, what is your unique area of collecting when it comes to Port (drinkable bottles not included please)?

Don't worry it is safe to admit to these proclivities ... after all, you are amongst fellow fanatics. [yahoo.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Espen S.

Re: Port Collecting Fanaticism

Post by Espen S. »

Either I'm just lazy, or see the sentimental value, but the corks from my last wines are still on my desk. :oops:
very imPORTant person
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a big vase full of corks on my kitchen table, but sadly not many of them are from bottles of Port because those corks don't often survive extraction!

I also have a withered old 1970 Taylor cork on my computer desk, mostly because it smells good and looks kinda cool. 8--)
Glenn Elliott
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

I wish I could get the smell back from the 1998 Faustino I Gran Reserva cork. It was wonderful. Great wine too.
very imPORTant person
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Every bottle, cork or capsule I have photographed and uploaded to PORTraits is still in my collection. I also keep all OWC from both ports and table wines. Fanatic? I don't think so. I just haven't run out of room yet.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

1. I have boxes full of VP corks and embossed capsules all over the house.

2. My garage is filled with boxes full of empty bottles from offlines and special occassions (i.e. nights when I drink VP).

3. I seem to have developed an obsession for empty half bottles. I now have around 50 but no plan for what to do with them.

4. I never throw away T-corks on the basis that they are useful for transporting bottles that have already been decanted to an offline. I think I have about 100 so am unlikely to run out soon.

5. I have been known to take pictures of sediment after decanting VP through a filter. I have no idea why.

6. I have collected 140 books about Port and wine.

Do I qualify for entry into the Port Collecting Fanatics Society? [imnewhere.gif]
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I'm sort of an anti-collector. I prefer to have as little "stuff" as possible. Once the wine is done, everything else gets discarded. Not that I don't enjoy looking at the bottles and corks while they're around, I just prefer to let them go and keep the memories (and a tasting note of course :wink: ).
The Port Maverick
John M.

Post by John M. »

Like Lamont, I am also an anti-collector--aside from a collection of vintage cocktail shakers, I don't collect anything (& if the shakers don't shake well--i.e do not leak, then I generally pass as I do use them, esp. at parties--function is important).
As to port, I keep the TNs and the memories, but discard the bottles, corks, etc....although I could see myself making an exception for an amazing port.

I do seem to be amassing a number of items relating to port: decanting funnel with strainer, decanters, new cork screws, etc. but all in the name of properly handing the wine. I also keep some T-corks around as they are handy for transporting a decanted bottle or short storage (although I also have a vac-i-vin).
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

No corks or labels here, mostly just TNs and a few empty bottles. I do have tongs and a good number of decanters, but the decanters aren't a collection per se, just what I need to host a tasting.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Peter,

It looks like the annual general meeting of the Port Collecting Fanatics Society will only have two attendees [friends.gif]

Derek
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:Peter,

It looks like the annual general meeting of the Port Collecting Fanatics Society will only have two attendees [friends.gif]

Derek
I suspect that I am an Everything Collecting Fanatic, and the Port memorabilia just sort of got included.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

8--) Oft invited, you've never been to my "museum" ... yet. :snooty:

Table of 3 please.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've got books, old bottles, corks, a couple Sandeman ceramic "Dons", a few tongs, posters, a framed map of the Douro Quintas, and my collection of Quinta do Vesuvio Bin Markers which I'm still a few short of for a full "vertical." So you can add me to the Port Collecting Fanatics Society
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Excellent. We have a quorum of nutters. [friends.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

You guys should see my closet full of games. :wink: I've just managed to control the urge when it comes to Port collectibles.
Glenn Elliott
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:Excellent. We have a quorum of nutters. [friends.gif]
So, does that reinforce or dispel the image of "old gents in overstuffed chairs enjoying a port and cigar"?
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Peter W. Meek wrote:
Derek T. wrote:Excellent. We have a quorum of nutters. [friends.gif]
So, does that reinforce or dispel the image of "old gents in overstuffed chairs enjoying a port and cigar"?
Dispel. Andy is young compare to the rest of us. The fact that the other three (or four if we include Mr Xbox) are of a certain age, enjoy the odd cigar and a few hours in a comfy chair by a log fire is purely coincidental.
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

How bout a 27 year old enjoying port an cigars?
I feel like one in a million. [cheers.gif]
very imPORTant person
Markus D.

Post by Markus D. »

Espen S. wrote:How bout a 27 year old enjoying port an cigars?
Have you beat by two years 8--) 25 [cheers.gif]

And as far as my fanaticism, I keep all my VP corks in vase and a bottle of each unique VP I drink. My friends always think it's weird when I bring the empty port and cork home. Well, used to at least :D
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Markus D. wrote:
Espen S. wrote:How bout a 27 year old enjoying port an cigars?
Have you beat by two years 8--) 25 [cheers.gif]

And as far as my fanaticism, I keep all my VP corks in vase and a bottle of each unique VP I drink. My friends always think it's weird when I bring the empty port and cork home. Well, used to at least :D
Yahoo! more younger Port geeks [friends.gif] [yahoo.gif] [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com