2007 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

2007 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Marco D. »

• 2007 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (4/13/2010)
    Not decanted; popped and poured. Dark inky color, glass staining, probably tooth staining as well. Rich and concentrated, almost pulpy. This reminded me of the 1994 Quinta do Vesuvio in color and texture. Others have mentioned lavender, and they are dead on. Almost like blackberry pie infused with lavender, violets and dark bittersweet chocolate. Wonderful concentration, structure, balance and length. Fantastic stuff. Can't wait to taste it on day 2. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Marco D.

Re: 2007 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by Marco D. »

It could be my imagination, but this looked quite a bit darker on day two. Otherwise this was pretty much unchanged, meaning it was stellar.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Great note Marco. I also love this VP and since the first time I tried it, it was on my short list of favorites. After tasting a good number more VP's, by October last year I was already saying it was my favorite of the vintage.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.

Post by Marco D. »

It's up there as one of my favorites 2007 as well, along with the Graham and the Vesuvio. I haven't tried the Dows or the Vale Meao yet... Is the Vale Meao even available in the US?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I haven't had the Vale Meao yet, but the Dow's is another I love.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Marco D. wrote:Is the Vale Meao even available in the US?
Sadly, I don't think it is. I've searched everywhere for it and can't find it.

It's pretty easy to find in Europe, though, and reasonably priced too.
Glenn Elliott
Espen S.

Post by Espen S. »

It's seems to be one of the cheaper 2007's out there, and it hasn't got any press around here, so it won't be gone in seconds like the Noval.

Thanks for the TN. I wish I could be there tasting it, after reading that description. Sounds wonderful.
very imPORTant person
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am wondering why we're not seeing more Noval around yet? It should be interesting to see if the price goes out of control early on the way it happened with those of us who can remember when the 1997 was launched.

The Meao is really very solid too. I think I may still have one left?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Considering it's latest WS score for the Noval was 93 [shrug.gif] I don't there will be a huge price increase.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I haven't had the Vale Meao yet, but ...
Absolutely worth to look for. Even after 120 hours this was stunning- good balance, clean fruit, fine and vivid acidity, present but polished tannins and a long finish. It should have the stuffing to go the long way.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael M. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:I haven't had the Vale Meao yet, but ...
Absolutely worth to look for. Even after 120 hours this was stunning- good balance, clean fruit, fine and vivid acidity, present but polished tannins and a long finish. It should have the stuffing to go the long way.
Thanks I'm keeping an eye out for it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Michael,

I totally agree. Here was my note on the Vale Meao:

2007 Quinta do Vale Meão Vintage Port
Cask sample. From the property that is still associated in consumer's minds, with the legend that is Barca Velha comes this brilliant youngster. When I tasted my way through the first bottle in mid-May this was showing very well and I was pleased to have another bottle to try back at home, once it settled down a month later. Expansive and sublime earthy perfume and fresh berry laden aromas soar out of the glass as this is not your ordinary young Vintage Port. It's loaded with herbs and spices, anise/licorice and tobacco along with the brooding dark berry scents that sex it up. As enormous as this VP is, and make no mistake about it: the concentration here is of epic proportions for a 2007 (akin to the finest in 2003) ... there is precision that delivers that rare combination of power and elegance which I only occasionally find in Vintage Ports. I'll skip over the list of flavors and focus on the exactitude and balance, with near perfect harmony between the massive waves of fruit, the core of seductive acidity and the iron-spined tannic structure. Along with Niepoort, Meão is tied for 2nd place near the pinnacle of the entire 2007 pyramid. An admirable achievement and kudos to the Olazabal family. 96-98 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Roy Hersh wrote:... there is precision that delivers that rare combination of power and elegance which I only occasionally find in Vintage Ports...with near perfect harmony between the massive waves of fruit, the core of seductive acidity and the iron-spined tannic structure.
Roy, excellent phrase as it conveys perfectly the oustanding attribute of this younster.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port