Cellar values

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Espen S.

Cellar values

Post by Espen S. »

There seems to be quite a few giant Port collections around here... have any of you thought about the value of your collection? And do you dare to share it? :mrgreen:

Just a few hundred bucks here, so far.. but I intend to catch up.
very imPORTant person
Tim Swaback
Location: Hastings, Minnesota, United States of America - USA

Re: Cellar values

Post by Tim Swaback »

I'm with you. I'm at maybe $250
Tim Swaback
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Besides the public factor, are you willing to admit to your wife or significant other what your collection is worth? [shok.gif]
Sebastian T

Post by Sebastian T »

Eric Menchen wrote:Besides the public factor, are you willing to admit to your wife or significant other what your collection is worth? [shok.gif]
Hehe, true that :wink:

I've been thinking about a related topic though, are you insured, and what kind of insurance is appropriate for wine?
Also, have anyone ever seen his or hers collection completely or partly robbed or destroyed?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not so much with Port, since most were purchased early; but Madeira is another question!
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

CellarTracker says I paid $4700 for port worth $3700. Could be; I usually shop by convenience/availability, rather than best price. However, I think the "Community Value" on CT tends to be a little low, possibly because it is often based on early, rather than current, purchase prices. Someone who loaded up on 1966 Graham's VP right after release might have it listed at a lower value than someone who bought a bottle yesterday.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Thomas Tideman Holst

Post by Thomas Tideman Holst »

Earlier I tried to connect with Ftlop'ers through cellartracker.
If anyone would like to share their cellar info, they can add my nickname "ttholst" as a cellarbuddy in CT.

According to CT my port value is currently 4100 usd.. :shock:
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

There's a CT thread elsewhere on FTLOP, but to save looking, I'm 'pwm' there and my cellar is available for browsing by anyone interested. (It's several months out of date, but I'm working on a 'hard inventory' in a slow, casual sort of way.)

I also have CT set to auto-Tweet (pwmeek) when I drink a bottle (or batches of bottles when I'm catching up on things) so people could even follow my wine consumption if they wanted.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Dylan Howard

Post by Dylan Howard »

Tim Swaback wrote:I'm with you. I'm at maybe $250

+1 [cheers.gif]
Jim R.

Post by Jim R. »

Purchase price about $ 6,021 and estimated current market price $ 9,456. Never had any theft problems and no insurance carried. I did discuss it with an insurance agent and he said any normal house policy would NOT cover a wine cellar. That would require a separate rider based upon an itemized and costed list of wines to be covered. I live in what I would consider a low risk area and have never sought insurance.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'm more in Jim's neighborhood for value. But unlike Jim, my insurance company said I didn't need a separate rider and the wine would be covered on my normal homeowner's policy.
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

This took a little research, but I was intrigued by the question. So, I invested the time.

$8,572 based on the lowest replacement prices I could find for each bottle on winesearcher.com. For the handful of bottles that I could not replace on winesearcher.com, I used my purchase price.

I actually think that is pretty close to what I have paid in total (more for some bottles, less for others.)

-- Gary