Article about Port, Noval Black, and Pink Port

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Article about Port, Noval Black, and Pink Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: Article about Port, Noval Black, and Pink Port

Post by John M. »

I think it's great if it gets a few more people to try Port.....but in a Martini Glass?!?!?!...my jalepeno stuffed olives will get jealous.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I'd never put Port in a martini glass. Then again, I probably have at least five different types of beer glasses and insist on using the appropriate glass for the style there as well; and I am fortunate to have IVDP glasses for Port. On the other hand, maybe even the photo will make someone think differently about Port and draw in a few soon-to-be converts. So they start with Pink or Noval Black, but they'll be trying tawny and VP soon enough. Think of them as gateway drugs. :drunk:
goncalo devesas

Post by goncalo devesas »

It´s true that there is a massive advertising around Noval Black... for ex. http://novalblack.com/... and it´s advisable to drink it chilled before a meal or pairing it with a dark chocolate muffin or a piece of chocolate, but writting this article with a Martini glass side by side with a ruby reserve that is better than some LBV´s :oops:

Someone forgot to do the homework...
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

I had the opportunity (or perhaps, misfortune) to try the Croft Pink Port for the first time last night. I have to say that it's the most god-awful wine I've come across in quite some time. Not only is it lousy in a port sense, it's lousy in a wine sense. It tastes like spiked Koolaid. Not only is this stuff not going to lead people to eventually try tawny or VP, I think it will set back port in the eyes of many possible converts if they think the way to drink port is to turn it into a spritzer. Croft should be ashamed.
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

John Danza wrote:I had the opportunity (or perhaps, misfortune) to try the Croft Pink Port for the first time last night. I have to say that it's the most god-awful wine I've come across in quite some time. Not only is it lousy in a port sense, it's lousy in a wine sense. It tastes like spiked Koolaid. Not only is this stuff not going to lead people to eventually try tawny or VP, I think it will set back port in the eyes of many possible converts if they think the way to drink port is to turn it into a spritzer. Croft should be ashamed.
Kindred spirit. Amen.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Pink port is better suited for mixed drinks and for drinkers who are not thinking of port. We gave it a go last summer and could appreciate it, but I would personally rather have Vinho Verde as light starter than a pink port drink. I do applaud Croft (and the others) to try something new and expand port to new drinkers. Give the bartenders a new tool to mix drinks.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Michael M.

Post by Michael M. »

Moses, I would assume the bartenders could do much better with a mix of modest Cabernet d'Anjou and a modest Vodka. Consider that this pink something is pretty pricey. There are other possibilities of invention as it is the Otima product line from Warre. Currently I am drinking Otima 20 year old Tawny. A product the Symingtons can be proud of in every facet.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
John Danza
Location: Naperville, Illinois, United States of America - USA

Post by John Danza »

Moses Botbol wrote:I do applaud Croft (and the others) to try something new and expand port to new drinkers.
I have to respectfully disagree. I think that associating this junk with Port damages the Port "varietal" in general, and the Croft brand in particular. It is so far removed from the flavor profile of real Port that it will never lead new drinkers to drink real Port. :soapbox:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't read the article - says the page cannot be displayed.

(Obviously my internet is working or I couldn't post, so it's not that.)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Link working for me Glenn. Just tried it in a different browser to make sure the cache wasn't helping, and it still worked.

I can understand Michael and John's perspective. It might very well be true. But I'm thinking there may be a Hollywood star angle here--any publicity (even bad) is good publicity.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Weird... it works now.

I don't think Port is loosing popularity with the younger generation of wine drinkers, though. Losing, perhaps. :scholar:

I think it's a nice article. I wish that they'd have used a Croft Pink spritzer in the martini glass instead of the Noval Black... I can at least see drinking a spritzer that way. Noval Black deserves a better glass than that, and is a fine Port. I'm not a fan of Pink Port and agree with both John and Michael - while it could be a decent drink in its own right, it just isn't Port and I don't think it will draw anyone into Port.
Glenn Elliott