TN: 1933 Vinhos Justino Henriques Malmsey Vintage Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

TN: 1933 Vinhos Justino Henriques Malmsey Vintage Madeira

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've had this more than any other single vintage madeira from a case I bought at auction several years ago. This last bottle was the best so far.
Crappy t-top cork waxed over. I still worry about my remaining bottles with this seal but they have held up so far.
Getting back to the wine, copper-gold with hints of green. Tremendous aromas of fudge, toffee, caramel with a good dose of VA. Full and rich on the palate. Sweet with exhilarating acidity. Not the intensity of the great pre-phylloxera vintages but with excellent balance. Very long finish.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Eric,

I recently got a bottle of the 1933 VJH malmsey off Wine Commune. It appears to have the same waxed-over T-cork that you described. Have you had any more since this tasting note? This bottle has a paper label that says it was imported by Wine Marketing, Ltd in Rhode Island. Did your bottles have this label? I'm going to see if I can contact them to find out when they imported this wine.

Gary
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have had the 1933 Malmsey that was made for the Broadbent label by Justino Henriques. A very nice Malmsey that today seems a bit expensive in the marketplace. I don't know if the Justino's version is priced differently or not, but I assume the juice must be quite similar. 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Gary,
Yes, my bottles are stenciled, with a back label stating the importer was Wine Marketing Ltd., Slocum R.I., U.S.A.
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

I recently bought a bottle of Justino's 1954 verdelho, which also appears to have a T-cork. Shining a light up into the neck of the bottle reveals a very short cork with a beveled edge. Does Justino's regularly use T-corks for their vintage madeiras? Do any other companies use them?

Gary
*sweetstuff

Post by *sweetstuff »

Gary Banker wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Justino's 1954 verdelho, which also appears to have a T-cork. Shining a light up into the neck of the bottle reveals a very short cork with a beveled edge. Does Justino's regularly use T-corks for their vintage madeiras? Do any other companies use them?

Gary
Yes, Gary, these T-corks are quite common even with Vintage Madiera, unfortunately. However, they have performed much better than I would have really expected, for what reason I don't know. I'm not sure that these are designed to be laid down, but rather, stored standing up.
Best, John Trombley aka Rieslingrat